1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost key VSC, ABS and (!) on after locksmith and Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Howard Flavell, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Howard Flavell

Howard Flavell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2008 Gen II I-Tech which was an extaxi with about 390,000km (only one key). I drove it from Brisbane to Darwin (Australia) - 4,000+k without an issue. Before I had a chance to get a second key (always my practice now) I had to lend it to a friend who was without a car. I gave strict instructions NOT to lose the key.... and guess what - key lost!!!! So off to the locksmith - 2 new virgin keys from Toyota and the car could start but remote not working. So the locksmith sent it to Toyota (we only have one dealer - next closest 1600k away and the one after that 3000+k). They couldn't code the remote either (said they were slave keys!) but provided a quote of several thousand dollars (nearly $10,000 from memory) to replace the computer and brake actuator (including $1000+ for a radiator replacement) - adding up to about twice what I paid for the car! They also replaced the inverter cooler because the car had escaped the recall (no cost to me).
    So I have picked up the car and have VSC, ABS and (!) lights permanently on. I do not know when these lights became an issue in the vehicle's travels (not on in my possession of the vehicle). Brakes are functional but not working as well as before - feeling as though they are grabbing a bit - I am very reluctant to drive the vehicle at all. Scanguage II came up with nothing (not unexpected). Replaced battery with yellow optima - lights still on. Ensured the plug was well home in the brake device next to the battery. Jumped OBD2 4 and 13 and tried to reset the lights with the 8 brake pedal depression method but the lights remain on.
    Flash codes are;
    VSC 45
    ABS 42
    (!) 66
    Couldn't seem to find out what these codes are.
    My surmise is that the locksmith scanner caused the brake codes to erupt and Toyota then jumped to the conclusion that it was the brake actuator at fault (possibly previous codes rekindled???). Is there any other way of resetting the codes other than via Techstream? - I wonder whether I should buy a Techstream - may prove cheaper in the long run! Any thoughts re the remote function on the key?? When do I pull up stumps and replace the brake actuator ...Ouch!!
    And the moral of the story are that there are some things in life you should never lend!
    This forum is a wonderful font of knowledge and I am indebted to previous posters getting me as far as I have.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    (!) 66 means "Initialization of linear solenoid valve and calibration undone"

The other codes do not appear in the repair manual. I suggest you obtain Mini VCI (Toyota Techstream clone) so you can retrieve the actual Cxxxx DTC.

It does sound like your brake system has a real problem so resetting codes is not going to help until you have resolved the underlying issue.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You can get a Clone Mongoose cable mini-vci for $30.

But, it took me two tries to get one that worked.

Some of the software is buggy.

4. Howard Flavell

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you
    Will try and get the mini VCI and report back
    Kind Regards
    Howard

5. tildar

tildar New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys. I'm new here, but having a near identical issues.
    Wife had the local parts store odb2 scan my 2005 Prius ( CEL came on a while ago, someting about catalytic converter)
    and they nicely left me with a bunch of new lights after the scan, they of course can't fix. My guess is the scanner they used messed something up.

Jumped CG and TC to get flash codes.

Break light on
    VSC (45)
    ABS (42)
    (!) (66)

I have also tried the break 8x 5sec reset with no luck.

Hoping I'll gain a fix following this thread. I'll go back to lurking unless someones wants me to try something.

6. tildar

tildar New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, So I couldn't sit on my hands, after much reading today I went ahead did a "zero point reset" (jumped pins 4 & 12. on the obd2 port... etc) and the lights are all off now. If I had to guess I think the scan tool at the parts place was set to scan for the obd2 mode rather that having it set manually, and that scanning messed things up.

I would love to here if this also fixes your issue Howard?

7. Howard Flavell

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi again everybody.
    Got the mini vci and found the code c1345 (linear solenoid valve offset learning undone). Used the Techstream to recalibrate - lights flashing 0.25 sec but unfortunately the c1345 fault code has persisted together with the warning lights still being on ... starting to think I may be up for the brake actuator. I do have a wrecked vehicle that I could pull parts off if there are other things to try before biting the bullet. Many many thanks once again.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that is the likely failed part.

9. Locksmithy

Locksmithy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

10. Locksmithy

Locksmithy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If this issue has not yet been resolved, there are a number of locksmiths in Australia who are gurus on automobile security technology, and troubleshooting glitches. Please send private message with timeline of what occurred, and your location. I will find if there is someone near you that can be of help. Throwing parts at the problem is not diagnosis, and even the dealers have to follow mfr protocol, when there may be a service to resolve the situation.