1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lotus Range Extender

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Dec 11, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First clued by Autospeed.com, they identified the source of this Lotus article:

proActive Issue 34

A 'range extender' is a small engine-generator set designed to recharge batteries of an electric vehicle and extend the range. It charges the batteries so the vehicle continues to run. Some salient points:

• gasoline engine - they didn't go diesel and explained why
    • 35 kW (47 hp) - more than enough for a Prius sized vehicle, it would extend to larger sedans, van, and possibly some SUV sized vehicles
    I wasn't 'inspired' by their engine technology but since it runs at a constant speed, it doesn't have to inspire. It only has to be efficient in the limited power range and that means a lot of 'neat' things variable power, gas-diesel engines require to remain efficient are not needed. The surge power is provided by the battery-motor, primary power system.

Bob Wilson

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw the news in September.
    Frankfurt Preview: Lotus develops a range extender engine — Autoblog Green

An interesting thing is the engine does not have a cylinder head gasket.
    "The Range Extender features a novel engine architecture incorporating a monoblock construction that blends the cylinder head and block together eliminating the need for a cylinder head gasket, improving durability and reducing weight."

Ken@Japan

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    :) I owned a Can Am motorcycle with no cylinder head gasket, even though the cylinder head was removable. But it was an air cooled 2 stroke engine.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    What is old is new again.
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offenhauser"]Offenhauser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    "Another reason for the engine's success was reliability; unit construction (no separate cylinder head) meant the engine was not vulnerable to head gasket or cylinder stud problems and allowed for higher cylinder pressures."

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Honda has one too. :D

Attached Files: