1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loud Front Only when Steering Right

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Iannini George, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Iannini George

Iannini George New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have a moderate pitch whine in front end only when steering or turning to right. Gets louder w higher speeds but pitch is about the same. Thought it was a left front wheeling bearing. Also needed new pads and rotor. While doing the job noticed grease all over the lower ball jt. Discovered a tear in the outer axle boot. Net net replaced pads, rotor, axle hub assembly and axle complete. To my chagrin the noise has changed one bit. The noise also doesn't change when I put the car in neutral while traveling downhill. With the hope that I replaced the wrong bearing I have ordered a new one for the right passenger side. When I tried the 6-12 wheel rocking test on the right there did not appear to be any looseness. Does anyone have any other ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    George

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cv joint?

3. Iannini George

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What makes you suspect a CV joint? Nothing I have read for a faulty CV is consistent w the symptoms heard. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought they made a whining noise when turning. a tear in the axle boot would let deris in and destroy the joint.

5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I say this with much experience doing wheel bearing/hub replacements.

Ive replaced the left wheel bearing when I heard humming turning right only to find out it was the right side anyways. They dont always go bad with the noise coinciding opposite to the direction you turn.

The true story is after you get the bearing/hub off, spin it by hand. You can usually feel the roughness when you spin it. Then you have found the suspect failing/failed bearing.

6. Iannini George

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Found that out w this replacement. Yesterday went under car again and checked both sides for anything loose. Low and hehold the inner CV joint on the right side has lots of play in it. The other side is tight w no play. The noise appears top be coming from the midline just where the inner axle engages the transmission. By the rock test the bearings on the right seem fine. Have ordered the axle and am going to do the bearings anyway just to make sure. Thx for your help.

PriusGuy32 likes this.