1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Louder than normal noise under hood when running AC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NWDiedrich, Jun 21, 2016.

1. NWDiedrich

NWDiedrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2013 Prius II with 35,000 miles we bought certified used from a dealer 1 year ago. When I turn the AC on, there is sometimes a louder than normal noise from the front right of the engine compartment area. Not right near the surface - seems to be coming from a little deeper in the engine compartment. If it is present, it starts when AC is turned on and stops a half second after the AC is turned off. Can't get it to repeat for dealer service tech yet (of course). I recorded the sound and played it for the tech who told me to check pink coolant levels in both reservoirs and then bring in to dealer. Thought it could be a dry or malfunctioning pump of some kind? Today I smelled a slight burning smell when the AC was turned on. No check engine light, AC seems to be working fine. My wife thinks the noise may have also been there when the heat was turned on but I cannot verify. Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be? There is also a light "fluttering" noise from somewhere on the passenger side of the cabin that kicks in when under strong acceleration but that has been there since we got the car. Not sure if that could be related. Thanks for any advice.

Link to the video of the noise:

#1 NWDiedrich, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the A/C compressor lol.

In every other non-EV car, that noise is covered by the engine so it's not as obvious. With the Prius, because the engine is off, that is the next loudest component while the car is stationary.

3. NWDiedrich

NWDiedrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the response Tideland Prius. Is it possible then that something is wrong with the compressor? When it is happening, you can hear it over the noise of the engine when the engine is running. I have never heard the noise even nearly that loud in my parents' 2012 Prius II which I drove for 6 months. Thanks.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It is possible that there is something wrong in the compressor. Have you had any service done on the AC? If so, was it done by Toyota? If not, the wrong type of refrigerant/oil might have been used. I was quoted $150 by Toyota to evacuate the AC system, refill with Toyota approved refrigerant, and check system for leaks.

5. NWDiedrich

NWDiedrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much DonDNH.

6. NWDiedrich

NWDiedrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much DonDNH. I think everything has been done through dealer but can't be sure before I got it.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or the AC condenser fan? That's the big radiator up front.

I think the posts above are right, it's the compressor, but the fan's another source of noise to consider, whenever AC's running.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can't get it to make the sound for the dealer, than obviously something is intermittently wrong.

it's a variable speed compressor. i'm not sure if the sound changes, but make sure you run it manually for the dealer, i.e., auto: off, fan: on, a/c: on.

9. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yep, the sound changes with the compressor speed/
    I checked it with the mini-vci & at the lower speed one can hardly hear it/
    brought up to the max of 7500 it's noticeably humming/

dependent on outside & inside temperature the compressor starts with different speeds/
    (meaning that sometimes you might hear it, sometimes you don't)

10. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, if is a certified car, has your 12 month warranty run out?

11. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, if is a certified car, has your 12 month warranty run out?

12. Sierra Mark

Sierra Mark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a similar issue with my 2010. The A/C sounded like your youtube video (louder than normal). When I took it to the dealer (who has always provided excellent service) they listened to it and said it was completely normal. What a relief! I understand a new compressor is very expensive.

13. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    regarding your video: sounds totally normal/
    if you bring it to the dealer or know someone with a mini vci, the maximum output of the compressor can be throttled to reduce noise & vibrations/

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In terms of volume, I can't say based on the video because it could vary depending on how close your mic is to the source, how good the mic is, how loud my speakers are turned up and so forth.

It is loud and I can hear it a couple of feet away. Your parents' 2012 Prius should exhibit the same sound. But yeah, if it's noticeably louder than the one in your parents' car, then perhaps it does signal an issue.

15. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    how would you know which noise level is normal?
    it could be that the louder one is normal & the more quiet one is just an early sign that the compressor might be failing soon/

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It could be a hotter day when you are checking the new car. Hotter day means higher compressor speed. Do have a quick look at the fan behind the rad. There could be debris in there. Make sure it's off before you stick your hand in there (both car and fan)!!

17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right. A lower thermostat setting would have a similar effect at the same ambient temperature.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have a ScanGaugeII you can program in the XGAUGE for air conditioner watts, and then just compare the reading to the sound. The car will run the compressor at different power levels depending on how much cooling the A/C controller wants. Mine seems to run anywhere from 1600 watts (seconds after starting after parking in hot sun), down to about 250 watts (cruising in mild weather just keeping the air comfortable).

At 250 watts it is pretty hard to hear, even standing outside near the hood and listening for it. At 1600 watts it sounds like a very small motorboat revving up to tow a miniature waterskier.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. NWDiedrich

NWDiedrich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you very much to everyone for sharing your ideas. The dealer said that since I reported the problem within the warranty period (which has now expired) they would cover it. We will see if that is true if there is a failure. It is true that I don't know what "normal" actually is. This sound just seemed like a noise that was unusually loud for sounds I expect to come from a car and it was at a level I had not heard before. Despite the service tech's thought that it sounded like a dry or malfunctioning pump based on the video, my pink juice reservoirs are full and there is no warning or check engine indicator. I will post here if there are any developments.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've just listened to your recording and the most prominent sound in it is your A/C compressor, it sounds just like mine when running near the max (1600 watt) output. You'd be getting max output if it was very hot in the car (say, just started after being parked in the sun) or you had the temp set way low, or both.

You should be able to hear the sound even more clearly by waiting for the engine to shut off so the A/C is all you hear. You should find that you can ramp the sound all the way up and all the way down just by playing with your temp setting. Set it lower, A/C ramps up. Set temp higher, A/C ramps down.

That way, you'll convince yourself that you know what it is, and you can relax and enjoy your car. :)

-Chap

21. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this^