1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Bluetooth Microphone Volume

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by boulder_bum, Jun 8, 2007.

1. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I love my car's Bluetooth capabilities, but I've had more than one person tell me they have trouble hearing me when I use it.

I end up having to more-or-less shout into the mic for them to hear me.

Does anyone know how to adjust the microphone sensitivity, and is this a common issue? All I could see in the phone settings menu was what looked like speaker volume and some ring settings.

2. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 8 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]458318[/snapback]</div>
    I went to the system diagnostic screen as suggested by Dr. F and others in another thread.
    I held down the info button and flicked the lights on and off and the display screen went to diagnostic mode. From there the menu button(s) took me to bluetooth send volume. The default setting is 0. I cranked it up to 5 and the low volume problem was gone. That was over a week ago and we haven't had any volume problems since.

3. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks guys!

How exactly do I get to the diagnostic screen? I'll run a search really quick and see if I can find instructions...

5. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Jun 14 2007, 04:21 AM) [snapback]461430[/snapback]</div>
    Held down the info button and flick the lights on and off and the display screen goes to diagnostic mode.

6. boulder_bum

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FreshAirGuy @ Jun 14 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]461921[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I see. I didn't understand what you meant from the last post for some reason.

Thanks! Great tip!

7. Kidd

Kidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    System diagnostic screen

I am trying to increase my bluetooth mic volume as well, but following the above instructions to get to the system diag. screen, by holding the "INFO" button down and flicking the lights, and I am assuming you mean the headlights, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? My brother wants to change the mic. vol on his '07 Prius too. Thanks for your help!

S

8. T-spirit

T-spirit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Doesn't work on mine either which is annoying.

Does the car have to be fully in READY? Holding the Info button down, what has to be switched on & off? Is it the main headlights, side (parking) lights, flash the lights by pulling the stalk?

Does it work for a 2007 car?

Better instructions would be an advantage :D

9. agile pagile

agile pagile New Member

diagnostic screen

Try using the Easter egg hack to get to the diagnostic menu.

10. T-spirit

T-spirit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not on an 07 :(

11. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes.
    The main headlights switch.
    Yes.

12. T-spirit

T-spirit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK. Had a fiddle tonight, and managed to get in.

It's not a question of just a straight on/off of the headlights - seems a bit random but switching between off/park lights/off/headlights seems to get in most of the time. Be nice to know what the exact sequence is.

Now, does anyone know what any of the other settings do?

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Diagnostic Screen

If you have built in NAV you can see which satellites it's picking up, plus GMT.

You can see some pictures at http://www.vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/Custommenus.html

Another way doesn't involve the headlights.
    1. Press INFO
    2. Press DISPLAY
    3. Within the INFO area of the screen (which looks like a letterbox)*, press the upper left corner
    4. Repeat in the lower left corner
    5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 two more times (a total of 6 presses)
    The Diagnostic Screen should appear.

If you go to http://tinyurl.com/d8ufk there are even more screens to go to.

INFO area

X <press here for lower left corner________
    DISPLAY area

14. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your question was:

The answer was: the main headlights, i.e. NOT the side (parking) lights, NOT by pulling the stalk.

My apologies for presuming that you already knew the exact sequence to turn the main headlights ON/OFF. If you don't, those steps can be found in the manual (I forgot which page).

15. T-spirit

T-spirit New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, the Spanish site is much less ambiguous. That clearly states on/off with the headlights THREE TIMES.

Not sure why someone couldn't just say that on here :rolleyes: When you are dealing with electronics and systems configuration, you cannot afford to be ambiguous.

Anyway, the change has worked, and increasing the send volume to 3 has made a significant difference. Thanks to all the posters that helped :D

16. fruzzetti

fruzzetti Customization-Obsessed

California (Pulled over 6x, ticketed 2x for tint)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turned up the input gain to 4 and output gain to 1 on the bluetooth unit. Any higher than 4 and the other user hears clipping, and any higher than 2 and I hear clipping on the inbound.

The trick to getting into that screen: you have to flick the lights on and back off LUDICROUSLY fast to get it to work. You can do it while moving, while stationary, or whatever as long as the car is fully on. But you have to hold "INFO" and flick them like.... Like as quickly as if you were playing a video game. So fast that you are likely to knick the blinker switch or flick the high beams on too. And if you do you'll nullify the command. It's tough.

But wow, what a difference!

~ dan ~

17. Kidd

Kidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I retrieved this from 2 separate threads and combined the information. It works, and is easy to do. It really made a difference, No one has complained about the sound or low volume, but I am the only one who drives the Prius I can't comment on how I sound on the phone. Good luck!

BLUETOOTH MICROPHONE LOW VOLUME ADJUSTMENT:

Here are the instructions on how to access the screen:

As follows: Power up (if not already up), Push “INFO†then “DISPLAY†and hold, Turn headlights on and off completely, three times, by twisting the headlight control knob, (not flashing the headlights, like I was doing and not getting to the screen).

the display screen will go to the diagnostic mode. From there the menu button(s) will take you to Bluetooth send volume. The default setting is 0. Crank it up to 5 and the low volume problem may be taken care of.

1 person likes this.
  18. dapastaguy

dapastaguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where exactly is the microphone located? I have the Ultimate Lockpick coming, and I have been to the bluetooth screen, but I don't see where the mic might be in my car. It is a package 2, 2008 Prius

19. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The mic is behind the little slots near the driver's side of the overhead sunglasses holder. Look at the links cited earlier in this thread (if they still work.)

20. bemindful

bemindful New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Does anyone know if this works on a 2009?