1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Oil & Loss of Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by travelon, Aug 8, 2014.

1. travelon

travelon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In the last 5,000 miles or so, my 2007 Prius has been really burning oil and intermittently the cruise control stops working. No warning lights. Car sounds and feels as usual. 235,000 miles on it. Water pump, thermostat and drive belt replaced 3/2013. Check engine light has been on since about then and diagnosed then as either catalytic converter and/or oxygen sensors and I chose not to fix those as was told not necessary until, well, December now, I guess. Any guesses on what the problem might be here?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The low oil is from engine burning it with 235k miles. If it's burning enough oil, it'll ruin your catalytic converter. If your engine is damaged severely and can't hold the set speed on your cruise control, it will disable itself when it's on and can't maintain set speed.

So your main problem is your engine.....and catalytic converter.

#2 JC91006, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What he said.
    At 235K you should expect it to be using a significant amount of oil.
    Using a "high mileage", slightly thicker oil might help a bit......for a while.
    It probably is really time for a new(er) car.

4. travelon

travelon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, low oil, just a recent occurrence. Since I posted this, the oil has stayed steady and cruise control working until last evening during commute home, it went out again. Heavy traffic and it's very hot here. It's fine this morning. This happened when the water pump went out too. I guess it's time to trade her in. Too bad. I love this car.