1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tire rack has a few left! LRR 195/55R-16 Michelin Energy Saver

2. ChuckDavis666

ChuckDavis666 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 16-inch Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's have been out of stock and on national backorder for almost 2 months. They are made overseas. There are none in transit and the local dealers can't even get an estimated date of when more will be manufactured.

TireRack.Com has some in stock in Connecticut and Georgia. My local Discount Tire shop ordered them for me from TireRack and is charging the same price+shipping.

3. StarrLhasa

StarrLhasa New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went into my local Costco this morning, and they still do not have 16-inch Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's in stock. The Tire Store Manager called Bridgestone to find out when they would be available and then told me that there is no shipping date for these tires. sigh....

4. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Go OEM!

5. dmcarlson

dmcarlson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TireRack has the 185/65R15 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 in Indiana. I had them shipped to a local installer.

6. TRStahl

TRStahl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a set of Ecopia422s on my other car. Better mileage and I like them a lot.

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    they came on my Leaf as standard. some at MNL seem to think there is a difference in quality between car OEM's and ones purchased retail.

i did puncture a sidewall and had to get it replaced (something i have NEVER done on any previous car)

just an FYI. now i have lower pr0file tires which i always thought made the sidewall stronger since its shorter? but just wondering if anyone here has any feedback on them?

9. 2PriusCars

2PriusCars Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should also have Toyo on your list. Here is some info:
    "low rolling resistance luxury performance tire designed for hybrids and other environmentally-friendly vehicles. Using a combination of innovative technology and materials friendly to the environment, the Versado Eco delivers low rolling resistance without sacrificing tread life, luxury or performance.
    Part of a global initiative to bring together both technology and ecology, the Versado Eco features progressive compound components and recycled materials. Rolling resistance is reduced by high silica content in the tread compound along with highly reactive polymer and a naturally derived material that the company calls Green Powder. The Green Powder and highly reactive polymer improve the dispersion of the silica, reducing friction and lowering rolling resistance.
    Its environmental footprint is further reduced by using Eco Circle Fibersâ„¢ made from recycled polyester in its casing construction.
    In addition, the long tread life and smooth, comfortable ride are achieved using advanced compound, construction and design elements such as an optimized tread profile and Toyo Tires’ Silent Wall Technology.
The Versado Eco is available to fit wheels from 15- to 18-inches in diameter, and is ideal as an OE tire upgrade for environmentally-friendly vehicles such as: Toyota® Prius®,

1 person likes this.
  10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the Hankook tyre on my GEN2 Prius in the UK. I have gone to 202/55/16 from 195/55/16 OEM, and my fuel consumption improved by 2MPG. The car is so quite with these tyres I could not believe the difference, road holding and turn in has also greatly improved. I do not know how well they wear yet as I have only put 3000miles on them but they are not showing any signs of wear yet, over all a great tyre I believe.

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a quick update for a great new option for LRR 17s!

Bridgestone has released their Ecopia EP422 in a 215/45/17 and 205/50/17 size. This is an excellent tire and may provide less rolling resistance than the Michelin Primacy MXM4. That is purely speculation but I bet they are near the top or the LRR list and the price and tread wear look great.

Specs:
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 (All-Season)
    UTQG=480, A A, 51PSI, 10/32, 21lbs, 845, $162

12. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ecopia did pretty well the best in that Tirerack video comparison too, but maybe that was a different tyre. I might have a look for them in 16" later

13. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    F8L, thank you for this thread, it is both useful and entertaining.

Yes, the Ecopia looks like a great all season tire.

If you would comment please, the Specs, Surveys, and Reviews on Michelin's Pilot Super Sport simply make me drool! Would you say that a 17” Max Performance Summer Tire would be detrimental on a Gen3?

Bill

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are referring to the "Round and Black" video the tire was the Ecopia EP100 which is a summer tire. I'd expect slightly less mpg but better wet performance from the EP422. :)

I would say that in most cases the Prius would not benefit from a max performance summer tire unless the car in question was heavily modified suspension wise like the Prius Plus Package. On a regular GenIII, the suspension is too mushy to really take advantage of such a high performance tire unless you really like tossing your car around a racetrack. I've found the Primacy MXM4 more than satisfactory for a 17" wheel on modified suspension. With a 15" wheel on stock suspension one could benefit from a stickier tire but again, unless you like tossing the car through corners despite tons of body roll I would stick to a good LRR tire but one that emphasizes the performance aspects you admire in the Pilot Super Sport since they don't appear to make a Pilot Sport in our OEM size (unless you meant a 17"). Just remember that going with a high performance tire instead of a LRR tire designed for fuel economy may cause a loss of up to 4mpg or more.

15. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks F8..

16. HomoHick

HomoHick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Kumho eco Solus HM KR22 tires? I will need two new tires in the near future and these seem to have good specs. 100K tread wear (supposedly) and the few reviews I have seen have been good. Price is around 70-80 bucks each.

Thoughts?

Tire Rack has the tire but I can't post a link, due to being a noob here.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    My Leaf had three ecopias and they did much better in snow than the stock Pruis tires did.
    I did have the advantage of being able to turn off traction control do that helped too

18. Meister

Meister Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For anybody holding out for the Michelin Energy Save A/S, I was able to order my set from Costco today. They should be arriving in 3 business days to be mounted up!

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What size?