1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Apr 17, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With that kind of tread life you can achieve a better financial return than even the Ecopia EP100 which is one of the best for MPG but has a much lower tread life. I hear the hydroedges are very noisy though. There looks to be a ton of options for your 400h. If you have the 17" wheel then I would looke at the Bridgstone Dueler, Continental ProContact, Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max etc. All have treadwear ratings over 600 and warranties from 65,000 miles up to 80,000 miles.

There is a balancing act you must consider when purchasing new tires for fuel efficiency and economics. You must consider price, tread life AND mpg if you are going for the best tire in economical terms. If you just want max MPG then the choice is easy. :)

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What part of the spec isn't rated for your 400h? If it's the speed rating and you are confident you won't exceed the Hydroedges speed rating, just buy them someplace else. Costco tire stores are real nannies compared to others.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree. They even have a policy of not fitting tires that aren't factory size, although I've had success in getting them to order tires in the non-factory size by inquiring only about a specific brand in a specific size and refusing to reveal what car I had.

4. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife's Prius may need new rubber before winter. Even though they're among the cheaper models, the Conti ProContact ECOPLUS look like a major improvement on paper over the stock Yokohama S33s.

If your 400h has the same size 17" tire as the Highlander Hybrid, stay away from the OEM variant Bridgestone Duelers. The stock H/L 400 are pretty generic S-rated tires with mediocre treadwear, at least on paper. The Alenza, while a much better tire, is not LRR. I wish I could justify a new set of tires on mine, but with the low miles I put on, I just can't bring myself to do it. In addition to those listed, the General Grabber HTS has good ratings and is LRR, too.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I started looking for this option so I could list it but most tires don't mention the wheel protector and looking at pictures doesn't help. I looked up my MXM4 tires and the picture looked nothing like what i have.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put a call in to Michelin to get more information on rim protectors and most of the 15" sizes apparently don't come with them. :( Then again, they told me my tires don't have them either so maybe what I am looking at is not really a rim protector in the technical terms. :confused:

I also added a section for the 225/40/18 tire size as this is the closest in rolling diameter to the OEM 195/65/15. Unfortunately there are not many LRR tire choices for 18s.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, we're going to have to do this by word of mouth rather than research as manufacturers don't care to mention them for some reason. They're only found on some of the lower profile sizes, not 15".

Which MXM4 do you have and what size? firemechanic already confirmed in post 31 that the Primacy MXM4 215/45/17 has a rim protector and it's the raised one judging from the pics in his album. All the factory 17" OEM tires are confirmed to have the raised rim protectors and that includes the Pilot HX MXM4.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same size (215/45/17). IMO there is a rim protector on them but according to Michlin's database they don't have the proper code which designates them as having it. The code is CPT. The tires without the rim protector is CPTB. The woman I spoke to was not sure if that code is stamped on the tire though.

She did say, however, that most of the sporty 17" tires do have the rim protector which makes sense to me. I'm waiting for a call back or an email for more information on this subject as well as any info I can get on rolling resistance ratings.

[​IMG]

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't be so sure about "most." It's strongly size-dependent and even upping one aspect ratio within the same tread width and tire diameter could cause it to lose the rim protector. I've seen 215/50-17s that some people have installed on their Prius as a poor man's attempt to close the wheel gap (making them look too fat and ridiculous) and they lack the rim protector. Moreover, some cars with differential front and rear sizes such as the IS350 (with factory Bridgestone Turanza ER33) has it on the front 225/40-18 but not on the rear 255/40-18.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I made contact with Tire Rack today and I am going to try and get them to do a test which compares LRR tires to non-LRR tires. So far they have not done that. I linked them to this thread as well. *crosses fingers*

11. Bootjacker

Bootjacker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow!!! Super thanks!!!

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to help. :)

13. COonthego

COonthego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi everyone :)

You all seem to really know your tires here and I know...nothing about tires, really.

Would someone mind (please?) recommending a set of tires for me? I live in Colorado (Durango area. Elev. 6k+) and am in nursing school so I have to travel a lot for clinical rotations (at 36k right now). It's an hour each way to class and back. I have a set of winter tires, but would like something that isn't terrible in snow for when I get caught in that inevitable snowstorm in May. Obviously, cost and durability are in issue as I'm in school and really want these to last. That's probably asking a lot, I know... I'm down visiting Phoenix, so would it be cheaper to get tires while down here?

Thank you very much in advance. I agonize over these decisions to get the best value and try to do my own research to make the best decision, but what you guys are talking about is way over my head.

I so appreciate any help! Thank you!! This is a great site and I'm really glad to have this resource available.

14. unigeezer

unigeezer Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Corrected from $83. Source.

After my rebate (at Just Tires) my total cost, including installation, balancing,with lifetime bal. and rotation, and tax, was just $415.00. And they are actual Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires, not Walmart's version. And the Walmart price is per tire only, not including tax, or anything else. If you add in installation, balancing, etc, your total price would far exceed what I paid.

1 person likes this.
  15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the update on Walmart's pricing. I am sticking with the Tire Rack price as it is cheaper and that is the main source for the price listings I used unless Tire Rack didn't carry a particular tire. :)

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    F8L can you check out Hankook K425 kinergy eco tyre is it available in the US according to UK tyre test rolling resistance is much better than any other tyre by a good margin. In November 2012 in the EU all tyres will be graded as are white goods now with energy efficiency labels in 7 grades A to G no tyre to start with will be given an A grade to push manufacturers to make better products and give consumers more knowledge of products.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will check with Hankook and see what they have available. A quick call saves a bunch of time and effort. :) Thanks for the info. I don't keep up with the Euro brands as much as I should.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    iI added the new Hankook Optimo H426 which comes in the 195/65/15 and 215/45/17. Other sizes are available but Tire Rack doesn't list them as LRR. Hankook sorta lists the entire line of sizes as LRR.

Inside sources at Hankook state they will be coming out with a full on LRR specific tire called the Enfren Eco.

19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hankook introducing green tire in US « News from Notch Consulting Group

1 person likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking on Tire Rack I see 3 versions of the Hankook Optimo H426, only one of which is 87H version is described as LRR. Looks somewhat similar to Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, our stock tire. In comparison, the Optimo H426 is a pound lighter, and has UTQG 440AA, vs the Pilot's 300AA. Is that value a wear index, with higher numbers being better (out of my depth)?