1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LPG Experiences and longevity

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by momomo, Sep 11, 2014.

1. momomo

momomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A number of articles on here regarding LPG. If you have converted your car to LPG, how long did it last before any major upheavel.

Which Kit was used?
    How much should i expect to pay for the fitting, I'm in the UK in the North West, any recommendations for fitters?

Did the MPG change going from Petrol to LPG?

What was the change in running costs?

Sorry if this has been posted a number of times before but I couldnt find anything in one place.

#1 momomo, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can fit an LPG kit yourself in the UK, but as usual EU regulations get in the way. After fitting you must take the car to a registered LPG fitting station for them to check it and give it a certificate of safety. You must also inform your insurance and the DVLA that the car has been converted, and they will insist on the certification. The insurance premium normally does not go up for LPG converted vehicles.
    Running costs are between 1/2 to 2/3 the price of petrol.
    Slightly more gas is used than petrol as it's calorific value is lower.
    There is a company in mid Wales that supplies all the equipment based at Dynas Mawddy on the A470 going from Welshpool to Dolgellau. I cannot remember the name of the company but if I find it I will post it.

John (Britprius)

3. momomo

momomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ta John my mechanical skills just about extend to opening the bonnet hatch, I don't think I could carry that out he he.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you have a system fitted you can expect to pay £1200 upwards depending on the specification of the fitted system. So the cost is only valid if you do a lot of miles.

John (Britprius)

5. momomo

momomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm most concerned about lpg on a 1.5 vvti stop and start engine.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lpg does not pose any real problems on the "stop start engine". Basically with the better system available extra fuel injectors are fitted to the engine "to inject the gas" controlled by the original petrol injector signal pulse modified by a small computer. So either the petrol injectors are switched on when on petrol, or the gas injectors are turned on with LPG.
    Cold start is always on petrol.

John (Britprius)

7. momomo

momomo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TVM John.
    Would love to hear from people who are running on LG and their experiences