1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LRR Tire Options - Handling vs MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by smallschumi, Nov 1, 2014.

1. smallschumi

smallschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have 55k on OEM Tires (195 65 15 Bridgestone Ecopia) in my 2012 PIP. Here is my scenario and my priorities.

Don't have to worry about snow or too much of rain. 75% of miles are on freeways.
    OK to loose a little MPG for a good handling tire but prefer a LRR tires
    Ok to move to a different tire size for better handling and looks - 205 60 15's?

Looking at some reviews here, thinking of going with Michelins Defenders. Michelin Defenders also comes in 205 60 15 size with almost same price as oem size of 195 65 15. Assuming that it will fit into oem rims, my observations are that ... 205 width might look a little better than 195's ( width from 7.68 to 8.05, side wall from 4.99 to 4.84) ,Can have Better handling ( whatever its worth:)), Not much of speedo difference - less than 1 MPH at 70 mph, shouldn't have too much of negative impact on mileage.

What are my options? Anyone with experience/ opinions on 205's on stock 15" rims?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the Premier A/S is a better performing tire than the Defender and closer to what you are asking for.

dorunron likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    'Nuther set of Ecopia EP20 (assume that's what you have) in 195/65R15?

If we had 15" that would be my pick. The Energy Saver A/S are superior for RR, but maddeningly hard to find (or replace).

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Either buy the Premier A/S or the Primacy MXM4 Either one are great tires. Used to recommend the Energy Saver A/S, but those tires are hard to find in the correct size. Go with Michelin and don't look back.

Regards,
    Ron (dorunron)

6. smallschumi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What about moving to 205 60 15 from oem 195 65 15?

Both Defender and Premier A/S are available in 205 60 15. Almost same price as oem size of 195 65 15. My observations are that 205 width should help in handling and overall looks than 195's ( Increased width from 7.68 to 8.05, reduced side wall from 4.99 to 4.84) . Not much of speedo difference - less than 1 MPH at 70 mph, shouldn't have too much of negative impact on mileage.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Typically wider means better handling at the cost of mileage. (MPG) Overall it should not be a big deal. The main thing when using different tire sizes is to confirm that the tires will NEVER scrape when suspension is at it's limits. (Full turns, shocks/struts fully compressed.

I don't think you will have a problem if you only go one size up. I myself though prefer to keep the size that is on the placard. One thing I don't do is run the tire pressure on the placard. I runs ours on the top pressure that is marked on the tires. Running the pressure on the placard gives a cushy ride, but cost's MPG. Pump em up and see the difference.

Check out the Michelin Primacy I mentioned. A phenomenal tire. Have them on our 2013 now. Came in 17" size to fit the wheels that are on our car. Should be available in your size. Check your local Michelin Dealer. I believe you will like them better than the Defender.

Ron

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice to see you lurking F8L

Ron

F8L likes this.
  9. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Not me. I replaced my Ecopias early after yet another unrepairable puncture and upgraded to Michelin Primacy for better handing in both wet and dry conditions, better ride, lower noise and greater reliability. I feel a whole lot safer.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Ecopia EP20 do get a bit noisy when worn, that's true. Still, I keep buying them for a previous, still in the family vehicle with 195/65R15. I might have to go with something like the Primacy for our 215/45R17, when the time comes. The Premier is very interesting though, top contender for me right now.

With your unrepairable puncture, was that due to it being too close to tread edge, as judged by a tire place? I've plug repaired two "unrepairable" punctures: the first a tiny finishing nail, about an inch from edge of tread. The second a somewhat bigger screw, more or less same location, in one of our snows. No subsequent problems.

11. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm just waiting for more of the Premiers to get out there and enough feedback on mpg are available. Personally, I think the handling and quiet ride is agreeable to any-- if there really is-- loss of mpg. The mpg actually improved a bit with G/F's ''v'' with a new set of them replacing Turanzas, [ @ 53,700 ] it surely rides/drives/handles better. This thread is about ''Handling vs MPG''-------Premiers for the win for both of us....disclaimer: I cannot speculate about the mpg difference the Premiers made on my car as I went to a 16'', wider tire and car had only a few thou miles on it--with me driving and learning how to drive my first Prius. I am still getting the same 56-59 ''cons'' display as when I bought the car. However-- handling is MUCH improved--but-- I also added other suspension upgrades.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You also have to keep in mind that the Turanzas are not the most fuel efficient tires Toyota uses AND you are learning how to drive the car more efficiently. The second part can have a huge impact on FE and can really screw up and perceptions on how efficient a tire is. :)

13. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I did try to factor in that I am still in a learning curve. It would be only fair and beneficial to members here to be clear about everything. However-- I still think that the Premiers will prove out to be a decent mpg tire. And, factoring in ''Handling vs MPG'' as I did when initially buying. Truthfully though, I suppose what swayed me the most, was the advertising of the evolving tread pattern and excellent traction for the life of the tire------- we'll see.

F8L likes this.
  14. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Yes, one unrepairable puncture was near the edge and the other was where the sidewall meets the tread. Both were judged unrepairable by the tire place but when I checked with another tire place and looked on line it seemed to me that they were probably right.

I'd not had that kind of problem before and it seemed likely to me that LRR tires likely compromise robustness to get lower rolling resistance.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. tplife

tplife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just replacing the Yokohama MayPop series on the Prius at 38K miles. The Michelin Premier A/S is the replacement tire for the Michelin Primacy MXV4. It is an upgraded version of the Primacy with grooves that stay there with wear for rain traction, around $9.00 more per tire and a bit higher treadwear rating. The Defender's reviews took it out of the running for my tire choice, the price difference wasn't enough to warrant it's performance for both users and ratings chart folks.

16. smallschumi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Anyone moved from oem 195 65 15 to 205 60 15's?

17. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    205/60/15 is 1/2 inch shorter than stock. Your speedometer will be off even more than it already is. Generally to lower profile by 1 size, you'll need to increase the width by 2 sizes. The size you need is 215/60/15.

18. smallschumi

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Width from oem increses from 7.68 to 8.05, side wall from 4.99 to 4.84) , Not much of speedo difference - less than 1 MPH at 70 mph

Don't think 215 will fit into the stock rim

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    205/60R15 reduction in diameter is minor, virtually the same as the optional size 215/45R17, that Toyota puts on the US model 5. Still, I'd just stick with stock 195/65R15, that width increase will come with a mpg impact.

20. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Back in the late 80s people used to put 195s on 9 inch wide rims. 215 on stock rims is no problem. Toyota is already 2 miles off at 60 putting on smaller tires will make it even slower. Speedometer @ 70, actual speed, 67. Toyota may have adjusted the speedometer to accumidate the 17 inch rims and tires on the Five.