1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LRR tire questions?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jerry Liebler, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the not so distant future I'll need new tires. I'm reasonably satisfied with the OEM Bridgestones and get OK mileage but they are only rated for 40 PSI. Michlien energy saver as seem to be favored by hypermilers so I looked at the Michlien site and noticed most are rated for 44PSI BUT some are rated for 51 PSI. The OEM size, 195 65 15, is not available rated for the higher pressure but 205 60 16 is. The 205 60 16 gives 810 rev/mile rather than 832 rev/mile which should almost correct the 3% odometer error as well. Obviously to use 16" tires would require 16" rims. Does anyone know? If they'll fit? What is the mielage improvement potential?

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Top of the line Prius Five comes with 205 series 17" rims. 16" rim and tires will fit fine. I doubt there will be any fuel economy increase due to the use of wider tires 205 vs 195 size tires. I dare say there will probably be a mileage penalty going with the larger size Michelins.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What Ecopias are we talking about? EP20? I'm looking at a set in our ex vehicle, in our garage right now, and they're showing max sidewall pressure of 44 psi.

In your shoes? I'd get another set of those EP20, in (one and only size available) 195/65R15. I've bought 2 sets of those for that vehicle (06 Civic Hybrid), they're great for LRR, a little noisy as they wear, but a decent tire. Just don't count on them when worn, in any kind of snow.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a lot of money to change out the wheels with the tire. Larger wheels are used to improve cornering in performance cars (the Prius isn't one) and for appearance. But you sacrifice ride comfort. Unless you're trying to be Kool, don't do it. No way you'll save enough gas to justify the cost even in 100,000 miles and your mileage may be worse.

F8L likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would repost this in the ten III area, the wheels are the same, and there are a lot more members with tyre experience. there are platy of existing threads too.

6. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My brother-in-law replaced the worn Yokohama Avid S33D's with Michelin Premiers. He uses 40 psi front/38 psi rear and says he lost about 3 mpg, but he says the improvement in noise and handling is well worth it.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't get hung up on psi. You are not going to gain anything by going to a tire with a higher rating.

Decide what you want most out of a tire (safety, comfort, longevity, mpg etc.) then choose the tire that covers most of those traits. You'll never find one that does it all, however.