1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LRR tire questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jerry Liebler, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the not so distant future I'll need new tires. I'm reasonably satisfied with the OEM Bridgestones and get OK mileage but they are only rated for 40 PSI. Michlien energy saver as seem to be favored by hypermilers so I looked at the Michlien site and noticed most are rated for 44PSI BUT some are rated for 51 PSI. The OEM size, 195 65 15, is not available rated for the higher pressure but 205 60 16 is. The 205 60 16 gives 810 rev/mile rather than 832 rev/mile which should almost correct the 3% odometer error as well. Obviously to use 16" tires would require 16" rims. Does anyone know? If they'll fit? What is the mileage improvement potential?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Wider tires are less aerodynamic.
    Wider tires are heavier tires.
    Neither promises any MPG benefit.

I do not inflate my tires for maximum MPG, I inflate them for maximum tread life. Putting the most tread on the pavement can improve handling, stopping distance and approaches max MPG, compared to Toyota's recommendation, which maximizes comfort.*

Sadly, it varies between tire sizes, brands and models, but 40f/38r is in the right neighborhood, just watch your tread wear from there.

*This is my own opinion and has not been proven true by the National Science Foundation, or anyone else.

3. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 195/65-15 Yokohama AVID Ascend tires on my 2010 Prius. Very quiet, good mileage,good wet traction and max psi is 51. they are LRR tires and I like them much better than the
    Michelin defenders I had on my Honda. Better wet traction.