1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Main Pack amp meter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by f16bmathis, Aug 10, 2011.

1. f16bmathis

f16bmathis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a ride in a Tesla and like thier amp meter. Shows amps in and out. I'd like to install a shunt and put an ammeter in the dash. Anyone ever do that?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I read my HV battery amps with a ScanGauge II. Easier than installing a shunt and ammeter.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Scan Gauge, does all that, plus much more....... go for the Gauge!!!

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your wanting to count Ah in and out the current ScanGauge wont do it. Ron form scanGauge said he could add code to count watt hours. The only problem is getting him to actually do it. I bug him about it every year at Green Drive Expo. :)

Also counting Ah or watt hours on a stock Prius would be almost useless at it would be at or near 0 all the time. Its only really useful if you have a plug-in Prius.

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  7. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You should not consider a shunt. You can use Prii Dash, or Graphcan, or you can purchase for about $30 a clamp on hall effect ammeter that will read up to 100 amps.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The cheapest option is PriiDash if you have a laptop or netbook. You can get a $50 OBDLink SX USB adapter and you are all set.

If you have an Android phone, you can get a $100 Kiwi Bluetooth and $5 Torque app. This is a wireless and more portable solution. Check out the thread I started.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. f16bmathis

f16bmathis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like this one. Looks easy enough to do and in a language I understand. The dipsplay one look good, but I don't have a clue what they're talking about!

I've allreay had the battery pack apart (found its real important to FULLY re-install the shorting plug) I installed a shunt and a digital meter, but it jumped all over the place. I've got an analog meter O/O.

Should be easy and cool to watch.

10. f16bmathis

f16bmathis New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up installing the shunt and mechanical meter. It was interesting to see the amps going to and from the pack, even just letting go of the gas pedal or depressing it. The amps will jump for a moment, almost looks like it buffers the electric drive as the motor catches up. Interesting to see a slight brake will regen alot more than I thought over a longer time. And it helped with the EV mode, going uphill, I could get up to 20 mph, and just maintain that without using too much and depleting the pack. Interesting... Now to get the Enginer PHEV fixed, or just send it back!