1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance needed for 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by K Reyburn, Aug 6, 2014.

1. K Reyburn

K Reyburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does a 2008 Prius with 64,000 miles need a transmission, EFI and Induction service?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the transaxle (transmission) fluid has not been changed since 2008, I would recommend replacing it now. Although Toyota has in their manual that the fluid is a lifetime fluid, it's just what most of the Priuschat members would recommend doing..

EFI and induction services wouldn't be needed unless you are having some driving issues with your car. If all is working fine, you wouldn't be needing the EFI and induction services.

3. K Reyburn

K Reyburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The last time I had it serviced they changed the water pump which was 3500 miles ago. Does that seem reasonable?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The water pump on these cars have a seepage problem, it's not a big problem if you keep you eye on it. But it's reasonable to have it replaced on a late model Prius with 60,000 miles. This will probably occur later down the road again.

The inverter water pump should have been done as a recall. The engine water pump is the one I think you paid for.

5. K Reyburn

K Reyburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was the engine water pump I paid for. I am having no driving issues with my car so is there any timeframe when EFI and induction services will be needed?

6. K Reyburn

K Reyburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your help.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You won't need induction service, unless you are having driving issues. Today's top tier gasolines will clean up the system. When your car gets to maybe 100k miles, you can think about cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensors. But that's about all you should need.

Other than basic maintenance (which should be listed in your owners manual based on mileage), you shouldn't do the recommended services the dealer suggests. Those suggestions usually just make your wallet lighter, no real benefit to your car.

8. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got to laugh... I read somewhere that Toyota's "lifetime" fluids are only for the "lifetime" of the warranty. Get it drained and refilled :)

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I had one transaxle fluid change "budgeted", to be done at SOME point in the first (say) 60000 miles, I'd opt for sooner over later. The initial fluid degrades fast, subsequent changes not so much.

Yeah I'd get the transaxle fluid changed ASAP, it shouldn't be much over $100. The parts retail for around $40, and with a pro hoist it's about 1/2 hour labor.

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Still on original ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) water pump at 127,500 miles.

Did your water pump look like this? LINK. If so, then replacement was required. If not, they stole from you.