1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making Aerodynamic hubcaps and rear wheel skirts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tree Hugger, Feb 13, 2008.

1. priusfreak

priusfreak New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would rather have something along the lines of this. My dad rebuilt three 56 Ford Fairlanes and they all had these on them.

[​IMG]

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just exactly what I want on the Prius, where can I get that from?

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    pix:
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/Bobc64/prius/IMG00054.jpg
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/Bobc64/prius/IMG00053.jpg
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/Bobc64/prius/IMG00052.jpg

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Um, Bob? I realize it's a work in progress, but that looks like something in tupperware- that spoiled! :ranger:

5. jdm-option

jdm-option New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This is the same body kit from Japan, named as A-CORO(ecolo from ecology) but without rear wheel skirt. Looks nice:):D;), right ??? It's originally designed to improve the fuel efficiency of Prius at high speed driving even better by paying the very detailed attention in aerodynamic theories. It stands out with decent and noble shilhouetts, not too much of agressiveness, dsitinct from all other Prius and furthermore it's more A-COROgical.
    Ask [email protected] for more information.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Bob64

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, which is why I "upgraded em" (they were falling apart a bit) with the aluminum "racin" hubcaps... which I've come to have the opinion that the cheapest place sells the exact same ones as the more expensive place.

If I had a better way to mount the plastic to the rings, then it would look better, but the method I used was physical (stuffed them in between the ring and the wheel and hoped they stayed out of the brakes).

7. Bob64

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if theres a way to easily calculate where the air stems point out if I added a valve extension so that I can drill through the aero hubcaps and stick them through... without making an overly-large hole...

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bob,

I ended up with 1/4 inch radius, by about 1 inch long oval holes. This was because the valve stem is on an angle, and the extension ends up further toward the center.

9. Bob64

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, but the problem with the aluminum "racing" moons that I have now, is that it extends past the wheel and is curved, adding additional complexity into calculating its location...

Need a way to somehow figure out where the valve stem is :/

10. Richard Lindstrom

Richard Lindstrom New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are some aerodynamic hubcaps listed on Hubcapmike.com. Smooth disks that either snap on like typical hubcaps or screw on to the wheel (with screws) like a serious race car. I can imagine a Prius on the Salt Flats this year wearing them. They also have the "moon style" caps with a slight bulge and chrome.....hmmmm...choices, choices....now for that lowering kit for the 2010.

11. gge5

gge5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I originally had a set of the moon disks from Hubcap Mike, but after parallel parking they got crunched from hitting the curb. After they're dinged or scratched the flaws are really noticeable. I decided to have a set of flat disks machined. Now, even if my tire rubs a curb, the disk is protected by the tire. I've had them on my car for nearly a year and they're still in excellent shape.

I had 4 sets of disks cut ecologically by a closed-loop water-jet by Pegasus Northwest of Kent, WA out of 1.5mm 6061-T6 grade aluminum. My set was professionally painted by Freebird Body & Paint out of Corvallis, Or.

I have 3 more sets of unfinished disks available in the Corvallis area (I'm in Salem on the weekends too). $60 for a set of 4. I'll drill and rivet them to your wheel rings for an extra $20, plus a removal tool (a specific brand of putty knife) to pop them on and off to fill your tires. $30 for a brushed metal finish, or take them to an autobody shop to have them painted

PM me if you're interested.

[​IMG]

12. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ooooo. Tempting. I'm thinking black.

But my moon disks will do for now.

Unless I got the StarFleet emblem sublimated on to them . . .

13. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very nice, makes me wish I had stock wheels.

- D

14. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    These are the best aero covers I have seen yet. One question about them, is there a way to cut a round accest hole for the tire valve? That would make it easier to check and maintain tire pressure without dismounting the covers each time.

I am interested.

16. gge5

gge5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. Yes, before I had them painted I had to drill the rivet holes for attaching them to the trim rings. You could just as easily drill another hole for access to the valve stem.

One thing I would do differently if I re-made these is I would paint the trim ring black before I attached the disks. It goes from the black of the wheel rubber to the red of the disks with a silver outline from the original trim rings.

By the way, I got two compliments on them just today. One girl pulled up in a turn lane at a stop light and the guy in the passenger seat was waving his hands to get my attention. He asked me if I made them myself. Another guy commented them on them after I got out of my car. This is definitely the mod that stands out the most. You can't do this on any non-hybrid car.

17. Robert J. Knight

Robert J. Knight Robert J. Knight Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have sucessfully manufactured a set of Rear Fender Skirts for the 2010 Prius, made of Fibreglass and easily attached. Can be ordered directly from me and I will post pictures of them installed on my 2010 Prius. They will be available painted to match or in black jellcoat. Each pair will be custom fit to your car. Delivery within 15 days as each set will be made to order..
    Satisfaction guaranteed.... I am trying to find out how to create a Posting showing these skirts on my car.

I am manufacturing them and they look AWSOME...

Bob Knight