1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Many Cars Fail In New, Tougher IIHS Crash Test & Tougher IIHS Crash Test Could Mean Fewer Top Safety

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Aug 14, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many Cars Fail In New, Tougher IIHS Crash Test - Driver's Seat - WSJ
    If the above link doesn't work for you, Google for Many Cars Fail In New, Tougher IIHS Crash Test.

IIHS launching first new frontal crash test since 1995 [w/video] - I recommend watching the video.

Tougher IIHS Crash Test Could Mean Fewer Top Safety Picks - KickingTires

2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By golly I swear I've seen tons of frontal-offset crashes before.

Ah: What's new for IIHS is where the offset occurs. The institute's latest test will simulate just 25% of the barrier overlapping the front of the car, as opposed to the current 40%.

This is good. It seems nowadays that even the cheap crap cars are all scoring super high marks in safety, which means that they are all super safe, or we need to raise the bar again--I think we need to raise the bar.

IIRC crash test ratings are fairly low on most people's purchasing criteria, but not all, and vehicles that do well do actively advertise the fact. Moreover, they become a selling point for wives (or husbands) looking to compel the other into purchasing a new vehicle to protect the kids.

It's impressive that Volvo is still doing well with crashes. I remember years ago the ads with a Volvo being driven off a one-story building. I think. My memory fails me maybe.