1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Map light LED DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by patdeezy, Jun 4, 2013.

1. patdeezy

patdeezy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys,

I couldn't find a DIY on how to remove the map light panel prior to installing my LEDs and was fortunate enough to have some priuschat members instruct me on how to do so, so I figured I would just make a DIY tutorial on how to remove this panel.

Please note, I am not responsible for any damages that may occur when you attempt to remove this panel.

For this DIY, I used a plastic pry tool my buddy lent me as well as a flat head screwdriver wrapped with some tape.

I forgot to take pictures prior to actually removing the first piece but after seeing the pictures, it should be self explanatory...

In the first picture, you're going to pull that piece from the windshield towards the middle of the car, noting where the "pins" are. Theres one on each side of that panel. After removing that piece, place it in a safe place.

In the second picture, now onto the actual panel with the map lights, it was easiest for me to use a plastic pry tool and work from one side and slowly start prying straight down. Once one side is loose, repeat on the other side. There are 4 "pins" holding this second panel in place and in my vehicle, it's the orange things. Do note that there are tabs that insert into the headliner where the 2 "pins" at the back of this panel are located, I pushed this panel forward a bit and then pulled down as to not break those tabs or damage the headliner.

Once you are done removing the bulbs, test the polarity to make sure the bulbs do in fact light up and reverse the process and viola!

Took me about 20 mins in all to carefully pry the panels free from the roof. Sorry no before or after pix of the LEDs installed but the map lights definitely look a lot better and brighter now!

Enjoy,

-Pat

Attached Files:

2. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just popped the clear pieces off, popped in the new bulbs then snapped the clear pieces back in. took probably 30 seconds per light. This was on a PiP Advanced though so it could be slightly different.

3. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^ Same. No need to pull the whole assembly out.

4. came_to_party

came_to_party Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So glad you posted this. My LED lights are arriving today and I was going to install them tonight. After seeing the original post I was questioning Toyota's rational for not making the bulbs easier to access.

5. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +2 just pushed it on (light) then used finger to pull it off, 5 seconds max

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Agreed, when I did them in my 2010 and 2012, I just removed the lens covers to replace the bulb. I did not have to drop down the whole assembly. But hey, if you get the same result, who cares, right? :)

7. Frank Perkins

Frank Perkins Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a PiP Advance too. Any reason why you replaced the stock bulbs?

8. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    does the pip have led bulbs? leds use less energy and generally provide significantly more light output. plus, i rather favor white or white bluish light over dull amber yellow.

9. came_to_party

came_to_party Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I swapped out my front seat reading lights, parking lights, and front door courtesy lights. The swaps were very easy. The courtesy lights were a little tricky to get back together since the LED bulbs I have a slightly bigger than stock. Tonight I'm going to swap out the rear license plate lights. I was surprised to find a different bulb in the rear seat dome light though because now I'll have to get a different bulb it to make it match.

Overall I'm very happy with the difference.

10. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    clean white color, stupid brite and the door ones actually put out enough light now to light the door entrance. I got the ebay set for 25$ discussed in another thread. Super impressed with it.

11. torparts

torparts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    anybody have diy on door courtesy door light swap to led bulbs? I do not want to buy the whole assembly....many thanks

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Buy some LEDs with T10 Bases, pop out the door courtesy lights. Replace incandescent bulbs with LED lights. If the LED light doesn't work take out bulb and turn it 180 degrees and reinstall. Put back courtesy light housing back in door panel. Done.

SCH-I535

13. torparts

torparts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks....how do you remove the metal bracket from the plastic light cover so you can get to the bulb...2013 prius if it make a difference....

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a plastic tab to depress on one side of the plastic lens cover to separate from bulb holder.

SCH-I535