1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Map Updates

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by btcompute, Nov 4, 2013.

1. btcompute

btcompute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

Can anyone tell me what the version number/date is of the latest map update?
    I got on in the mail at least a year ago, anything new since then?
    Thanks

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Should be coming out this month IIRC.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've never received one for the 10/2011-build 2012 model.

4. btcompute

btcompute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, apparently many of us got an update in the mail. It was loaded on a USB drive, and labeled "Entune".

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I got a red Entune USB stick, but there were no maps involved.

6. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Gathered Prius v(vee)'erz - The latest and greatest Entune ACN NAV Update comes under Part # 86272-HDD07-00, and cost me $169 at my Toyota Dealer's Parts Department. It then cost me another $64 to get it installed by the dealer. There is no DVD/CD or Thumb Drive or physical whatever. You are basically purchasing a booklet with an Access PIN Code Number inside, which the Toyota Tech uses to do a download of the Nav Update from Toyota over the WWW, installing it into your Entune. My Toyota dealer has archaic, slow computers in their maintenance bay, which resulted in multiple-hours being required to download the 2013 (2012) Nav Update via the Internet.

The Dealer's Work Order says "Install 2013 Nav Update." However, I think the Nav Database Currency Date is nominally as of 2012.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    When did you buy your car, when was it built and when did you get the red memory stock with the Entune update?

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

8/2011 build, 9/2011 delivery, stick arrived 8/2012

9. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Gathered Prius v(vee)'erz - Do not confuse Toyota's updates to the Entune System functionality with Toyota/Harman updates to the Nav/GPS Database, which the Entune Navigation subsystem and the "Nav Lady" use to direct you here, there, and around the square.

FWIW FYI: I snapped a photo of Entune Update Booklet-Instructions & Thumb Drive mailed to me by Toyota for the Entune Update back in 2012 (upper half of photo), and the Toyota/Harman Navigation/GPS Database Update booklet (obtained-installed in 2013), which contains a card with a code for the Toyota Tech to use to download the Nav Database Update via the Internet, and install into the Entune Nav. It is attached hereto.

Attached Files:

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've never seen a "Toyota/Harmon Navigation/GPS Database Update."

11. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Air_Boss - You actually did "see" the "Toyota/Harman Navigation/GPS Database Update" in the pix I posted above. However, in order to "see" it in the naked flesh, you have to put out some personal geedas to purchase it, in my case, $169 --- It ain't and is not sent out FREE or TOYOTA GRATIS as is/was the Entune Software Update. To "see" the results of the Nav Database Update, in my case, I had to pay $64 in additional "Care & Feeding Of Toyota Tech" bucks for the Toyota installation. The installation procedure-process for the Nav/GPS Database Update does not lend itself to a simple, straight forward DIY installation.

Shipmate, communicate with me on this subject, via back-channel, using the e-addee on my Ten Tips Guide webpage. Do so, and I will give "8/2011 build, 9/2011 delivery, stick arrived 8/2012" Prius v(vee) owner, you, some special information on this 2013 Nav/GPS Database Update as a Veterans Day 2013 gift. It will be info which could cause your wallet to $mile. :D

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The 2013 map database should be out. It is sold on a USB dongle. The activation card is also needed. If you want to install it yourself you need a TIS professional level account for $55 and as of May last year when I did an update I had to call them with the activation code and ask for another code to enter to install the darn thing. The USB dongle can be shared, as it is sold as one per dealership. It's a 16GB stick that is quite fully filled, as of the 2012 ATP/DENSO update that I purchased. It does take a long time to upload probably because of this.

13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I searched older threads and found the post that I made with DENSO/ATP instructions here:

2012 Prius v Navigation updates | Page 3 | PriusChat

Later posts of mine explain that it is a TIS policy no no to do so, so I'm afraid I didn't post official instructions for the Display Audio/Harman unit.

This is the website/company that sells the USB dongle:

Bosch Automotive Service Solutions LLC Toyota | How To Order

They readily sold one to me. My total cost including shipping from my receipt was $90.94. The activation card has a code needed to produce the installation code. When I did an update last May/early June I had to call TIS to get this installation code, meaning I had to have an active TIS subscription. Last I checked it costs $55 for about a day, whenever you subscribe until midnight the next day.

I believe people can readily share the USB dongle, but each would have to buy the Activation Card. I don't have an active TIS subscription so the part numbers you see in the thread I've referenced refer to last year's update....

Here's a link to the "cliffnotes" instructions for the Display Audio/Harman unit:

2012 Prius v Navigation updates | Page 4 | PriusChat

Again, the part numbers have probably changed for the latest updates...

So in order to do this on your own:
    $90.94 for the dongle (shareable)
    $155 for the Activation card, (cheapest price I could find through Carson Toyota Internet guy) (not shareable)
    $55 TIS subscription. (I'm guessing this is shareable but I didn't try/am not sure.)

Or just buy the Activation card and pay a dealer to install it:
    $155
    dealer installation fee

(Dealers' parts departments should have the latest Activation Card part numbers available. If they happen to be the same as listed in the links I've given, then the latest update is not yet available and all other part numbers listed should be accurate. The update I've referenced I believe was made available early 2013, and I think it was considered a 2012 update.)

Sorry OP for the thread jack. This is kind of related information though.

14. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bend over.. Here comes uncle toyota again !!!!!!!

Seriously .No one is bootlegging these Nav disks here??

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Would love to see a set of TIS manuals on DVD... Just saying...

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Hahaha...

Having been a CECS student a long time ago, bootlegging is kind of a no-no. (Call it a mutual respect from someone who's tried to write code before....)

I must say, though, Cadillac ties an installation/activation code to the VIN. I personally consider this good enough protection. This Activation Code then Installation Code, along with the actual "code" being sold at another location, well, that's just _______ (you fill in the blank).....

Like I said before, the USB dongle is readily available. If one person bought it, or many people share the cost, I don't think that is an issue. (I actually made a backup of it onto another USB dongle.)

I think Toyota TIS realizes this process is kind of crazy. I explained to "level 3" support that all this process to do it myself was more costly than going to the dealer, and he said that the process was chosen and can not be changed now. Implementation of the current Nav systems is out, and that is understandable as well. To change it now, well, that would be crazy as well....

If a group of people got together and shared the cost of the USB, then got together one day, shared a TIS professional level account, (each having bought an activation card), and decided to try to install during that subscription, I wonder how many it would take to bring the cost down to less than a straight shot to the dealer... The $64 installation fee catgic mentions is more than the TIS professional subscription cost of $55, if you have access to the USB....

17. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

TIS orientation material is available on the TIS site. Anyone is welcome to go there and look around....

The TIS instructions for installing accessories are marvelous. I installed all the accessories I got by making sure the seller I got them from would provide them. I was able to install the remote start and VIP alarm, although I needed to go to the dealer to activate the remote start portion. The instructions include almost every detail needed, where to run the wire, and even the location of where to use the wire ties!

18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yes, and I would like to buy them once and for all time, like my Helm manuals.

19. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    companies (MS, Norton, Nero, Apple etc) making SW don't allow us to share, 1 licence key 1 device.
    To them its no diff from bootlegging.

Even with Movies today, U buy a movie (DVD/Bluray) and U can share but loaning it out, making copies (hard or digital) its still illegal even when a few ppl share the cost.

20. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I definitely would like to buy paper manuals, hopefully they will be available. I agree. Getting an installation code from TIS requires a subscription though, no choice there. The instructions I posted explain to go there to generate an installation key. It just wasn't implemented yet, so I had to call.

The companies mentioned do allow you to download the software, it just doesn't work without the "key". Same here, I purchased the USB stick, but it doesn't work unless I buy an Activation Card and produce the "key" from TIS. The dealers each only get one USB stick. They will use that one stick in all the cars that come in to do an update. It doesn't work unless you give them/buy the Activation Card and they get the installation "key" from TIS. I did not suggest mass reproduction of the copy I have. I made a backup. This is legal, or at least that is my understanding, just in case something happens to my original. If someone decides to come over with an Activation Card and a TIS subscription, I have little doubt that I would be legally helping them upload the '12 update in my hands. It will not work without a "key", and I have no intention of bypassing that.