1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mazda announces 70mpg gasoline-engine (not a diesel) Mazda2 in 2011.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    2011 Mazda2 Will Get 70 MPG Without Hybrid System | AutoGuide.com News

The Mazda 2 (Demio) Will Get 70 MPG – AltTransport: Your Guide to Smarter Ways of Getting Around

Mazda to Add

Wow! Couple that to a Toyota HSD, and we're talking more than 70mpg!!! :)

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that's roughly 58mpg. cool

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I hope the reports prove to be true .... but let's not forget GM's 230 mpg claim.
    Having previously owned a Mazda Rx-7 .... and feeling that was a most amazing vehicle, I would love to see Mazda pull off a major victory.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That may be under Japanese test cycle. Prius gets 94 MPG for reference. That's pretty good for a non-hybrid that size. Any word on horsepower and acceleration numbers?

1 person likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder how that japanese test translates to American?

The engine seems to be quite a good one, although ford has said when it uses the engine it will use 13:1 compression instead to use regular gasoline.

It would be really cool to see a prius's hsd with an atkinson version of that engine in a mazda 2.

Here is some more details about the engine (assume the 1.4L is the same tech as the 2) and transmission from car and driver.

Mazda Engine News: Mazda Sky Gas and Diesel Details

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    hp is 163 for a 2L version. If it scales it should be just over 110hp for the 1.4L.
    How do they do that Japanese test? Thanks for the comparison number so around epa 37mpg. car and driver said the mazda 3 burning premium with a 2 liter version would get 30 city 39 highway.

7. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    14:1 compression ratio is remarkable, as the whole reason Toyota went with Atkinson cycle for the Prius engine was to be able to use 13:1 expansion ratio. This engine should be even more efficient, close to diesel efficiency!

8. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The EFFECTIVE compression ratio of the Prius ICE is only 10:1. Base/native CR is 13:1 but after using the delayed intake valve closing technique duirng the compression stroke the EFFECTIVE CR is back in the range for the use of regular fuel, ~10:1.

Should the Prius ICE be adapted to DFI those numbers could change to 15:1 and 12:1 respectively.

Note that Mazda doesn't say that this isn't some form of Atkinson, or even Miller, engine. In which case 14:1 would be substandard.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    DFI I gather.
    We have been reading about it for years. Kudos to Mazda for getting it to market, but price and reliability are outstanding questions.

10. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I owned a Mazda RX-2, RX-4 and Rotary Pick-up and loved all of them. That was back when they were having some issues with the apex seals. I just read that Audi is now coming out with a Hybrid using lithium batteries and a single rotor rotary engine. It is claimed to be even smoother than the Mazda two rotor rotary engine.

1 person likes this.
  11. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I

Porsche has been installing DFI engines in the 911/997 and the Cayenne for 2-3 years already, and now the new Panamera too. VW is following Porsche's lead. Holden in AU seems to have DFI pretty much across the product line.

I suspect DFI will soon get a couple of throttle body fuel injectors to be used only if the throttle is not at WOT or nearby. There seems to be a problem with PCV (and maybe EGR) residue depositing and congealing on the backside of the intake valves.

That would also help to clean up the PCV/EGR residue deposited throughout the intake manifold even on SFI engines.

12. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

If like USBseawolf said, the Prius gets 94 mpg on the Japanese cycle, and 50 on the US EPA City/Hwy combined, then this car gets something like 37.5 (= 70 * 50/94)mpg combined US EPA. Not bad, but not Prius class. Part of that is slower speeds. Another part is the Imperial gallon being 1.2 times the size of the US gallon.

14. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    let me guess - imperial gallons.