1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mechanical Key

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by greenlv, May 3, 2008.

1. greenlv

greenlv New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can someone please explain the purpose of the mechnical key hidden in the SmartKey FOB? The salesman told me that it was used to lock the glovebox in case I was using a valet. I've tried to find one but I'm not seeing any type of locks inside the car.

2. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Glove box lock??
    Nice salesman.

Has he ever looked at the driver side door handle?

If your smartkey system or key FOB dies, you can use the key to get into the car.

As far as I know, you still can't start the car with the key though.

ZC1

3. greenlv

greenlv New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks!!! That makes perfect sense.

4. Oddest_raindrop

Oddest_raindrop New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The mechanical key can be used when the smart key dies but also is the only way that you can start the car and lock it while leaving it running.

5. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The little key unlocks the door, as you said. If the fob battery is dead, you insert the entire fob into the slot (next to the steering wheel where you would normally insert a key into the ignition) to start the car.

p.s. Take the time to read the manual. It has lots of useful information in it.

6. greenlv

greenlv New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Believe it or not, I did read the manual and saw the section related to keys. Other than showing what the manual key looked like, it didn't explain the purpose. I do understand how to start the car using the FOB, but I didn't see any details about how to utilize the mechanical key, hence the reason for my post.

7. nomad

nomad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like you had a clueless sales rep, I would question anything else he/she told you.

8. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I didn't read the part in the manual where you can insert a dead fob into the slot to start the car. Sorry.
    Only had the car a week (as of my first post) and I haven't read the manual entirely although I started on it the first day.

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The apology is not necessary (at least from you!). By the way -- welcome to PriusChat and thanks for posting.

I think a salesman will say just about anthing to appear as though he has an answer. I won't trust a salesman who is afraid to say "I don't know the answer to that question. If you give me a moment, I'll find the answer and get back to you."

Don't be afraid to post any question. Some of us still post some real Duseys!

10. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My experience with salesmen wasn't any better. One salesman told me If the battery on the smart key runs down I should use the other key. Another saleswoman from a different dealership told me I can only lock the car using the remote. Guess she never found the little black button. How difficult it is for them to read may be one manual every year?

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    DING! DING! DING!

12. dpdunham

dpdunham New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting discussion. I have a new 2010 Prius V, and read in the manual about the mechanical key. As stated, the key is used to open the driver's side door. However, in the 2010 Prius, there is no "fob slot". I had to hunt for the solution. In the "When Trouble Arises", Chapter 5, it states that you need to "Apply the brakes and touch the Toyota emblem side of the electonic key to the POWER switch". A buzzer should sound (if the fob battery is dead), and you have 10 seconds to start the car.

1 person likes this.