1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Men are just as Emotional as Women

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Jan 30, 2015.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The stereotype that women are more emotional and less in-control is something I've come to question over the years observing flamewars. Sports forums is an excellent place to observe this.

It's amazing to see grown men(?) argue to the death on sports and it's transparent it's about they either love or hate a team no matter what. A homer could be defending a felon for example. :confused: I get supporting a team or player, but there is a point even fans have to conceed they screwed up.

Specifically, Deflategate comes to mind. (hey, this could be a tire topic :D ) If anyone tries to be objective, that investigation is ongoing - they have not talked to everybody. Some evidence is incriminating, but not conclusive. Pushing and breaking of rules is done by every team in the NFL and other sports. The NFL administration (i.e. Roger Goodell) has been uneven in administering justice in these matters. While I am now a Patriots fan, I am open to the possibility they may have been systematically creating and doing it better than the competition. What obscures that is my previous points of the NFL being imperfect and haters screaming before all the facts are in.

Some haters at a Cowboys forum (my old team - sick of Jerry Jones) have been prolific in posting venom for over a week. Seriously - do they have a job or life? Predictably, the Patriots forum is defending them no matter what.

What I've seen at the Cowboys forum I've seen at many forums, even this one during a flamewar
    • Someone makes an incendiary remark
    • Others object
    • After a few posts, it gets painfully redundant
    • Then some resort to cherry-pick facts and ignore opposing points to "prove" they are right.
    • It's obvious both sides will never agree
    • But the flamewar goes on and on {sigh}
    This is why courts have judges - to prevent filibustering from going on forever.

I don't consider a flamer a troller - a flamer has convictions for example. But a few make it a full-time job to attempt to force their point of view on everyone else over a considerable amount of time - not just a couple of days. Sorry, this suggests something is wrong with them.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NOT TRUE..
    NOT TRUE..
    NOT TRUE!!!!

We're NOT NEARLY as EMOTIONAL!!
    We're NOT We're NOT!!!!

Your thread is crap!!!

Rae Vynn and Onager like this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In this day and age is this even a debate anymore?
    I guess it comes down to how you define "emotional".

I think it's more precise to say that men can be just as passionate and have just as much "depth" of feelings about things as women.

The difference is masculinity...has the social history and expectations attached that as men we are not suppose to outwardly demonstrate these emotions.

I think this comes from the historical role and image of man as protector of the "family" or tribe or "village". The men go off to fight, kill, hunt, and they aren't suppose to complain about it, or be outwardly emotional about it.

The feminine role is as nurturer. It's to embrace the more outwardly visible aspects of emotion. Heal the wounds of war, cook the meat from the hunt.

But in this day and age, I don't even see this as a debate or issue. There are a LOT of social standards and stereotypes that have fallen to the wayside or are now recognized as being very adaptable or just plain wrong.

Men and Women are Humans. That makes sharing a lot in common inevitable.

The outdated stereotype I think needs to be put to rest that I have noticed is the old idea that somehow women are bigger "gossips". The 1940's, 1950's and later, idea that women sit around the fence "gossiping" about each other, while "men" somehow don't gossip is I think very invalid.

In my work world, in the environment I have witnessed, men do as much "gossiping" about each other and everyone as women.

But Men just as emotional as Women?....Humanity and I would argue evolution has created social standards, cliché's and stereotypes, born out of the very evolution of the species. But as humans? Yes...I think men can feel with as much depth and passion as women.

4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many men get bent out of shape discussing sports and cars, to mention a couple of topics.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or the benefits of higher octane gas. ;)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or politics.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or global warming.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    or who has the longest ruler.

Rae Vynn likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    miles vs kilometers

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Football or "Football"

11. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many guys have a problem with pride or saying they are wrong. I occasionally own up to mistakes. I also know if I want to guarantee someone is never going to agree with me, just attack them and demand them to agree.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honey, can't we just stop and ask for directions?

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I discovered that to be a really dangerous thing to say to the wife. As if it is supposed to be reserved for her use only.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, role reversal not allowed, even in 'enlightened' homes.:p

fuzzy1 likes this.