1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mercedes launches smaller line of luxury vehicles as Mini competitor

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eheath, Apr 14, 2013.

1. eheath

eheath Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sure there will be a diesel and a hybrid in this new lineup...

Mercedes Plans Line of Small Luxury Vehicles to Compete with BMW’s Mini Brand

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh the Germans. When will this madness stop? While it may be ok in Europe (the most affordable models in the price range of the average Joe, costing the same as a Mondeo), how would it fare here where there's a certain cachet associated with the premium European brands? What are they doing to reduce cost? (lower quality materials? cheaper wires? cheaper batteries?) It's one thing to have a BMW/Mercedes/Audi but it's another if the interior doesn't feel like their bigger brother.

We'll see what MB has in store. The MINI brand is touted as something different - they're a fun brand. You can customise it the way you want and they have a strong, loyal following. Will MB be able to mimic that?

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A cheaper smaller MB, yep it's called VW.

German cars I avoid like the plague, low reliability, expensive to repair, poor mileage, just all around crappy cars.

Just my opinion. I owned one German car in my lifetime and it was a big problem

4. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think hybrids will apear in this lineup. E-class just started now (bit shy), and C-class does not have one yet...

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    C class in 2015. I don't think the hybrid goes with this A class either. AMG says hybrids are the future of the fast expensive Mercedes though.

6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ferrari just announced a hybrid but it costs a Million US.

When your buying MB and Ferrari my guess is your not thinking about reducing your fuel costs

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Cost is not an issue with MB and Ferrari but fuel consumption is. Many don't want guzzlers.

We get the prototype green desirable sports car Porsche 918 phev (918 to be built, sold for 700,000 euros each, sold out), and Ferrari realized that that hybrid was the best way to improve their car. I have no idea if the 918s goodness will trickle down into a $20,000 upgrade to a boxer, it may never do that because that would hurt 911 sales. But it will move in the VW group, and the phev golf is coming next year. BMW is also on this track.

MB is behind, they had been pushing hydrogen fuel cells, instead of working hard on hybrids. I think the writing is on the wall that fuel cells are even more expensive than phev technology. MB is slowly getting in the game. These lower priced smaller MB aren't part of that strategy though.

JMD likes this.
  8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How Smart is that?

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you driven a smart car? I do, as part of car2go, and the only luxury is special spaces down town, which is quite a luxury some days. The engine is harsh, the handling poor, only the ev version has any luxurious feel at all.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. As the article says, the vehicles will wear the MB badge.

Sergiospl likes this.
  12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have zero interest in MB.

If I won a car in some contest I would take the cash as an option or sell the car and buy a Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura or even a GM.

If MB purchased every car company in the world I'd start walking.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I also don't really want to buy a MB car either, but ... they have a great history of innovation. Without mercedes many of the safety devices in cars might not have made it.

Mercedes-Benz History of Innovation | Mercedes-Benz

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sure and you pay dearly for that my friend. When you visit the service representative and he hands you the quote say. I was expecting some flowers, chocolates and champagne and a Kiss before you F-ck me

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, you are a previous owner. Didn't know, and I don't really know about reliability. I like having MB around since there innovation makes it into other cars. I don't want one of my own.

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some luxury brands have gone down market in recent years, question is until what price point can a car still be considered luxury.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some have gone pretty darn far down.

At that point, you're not really buying luxury, you're just buying for the brand's engineering, drivability and name, especially when it comes to the Germans. Looking at what's standard on the base models in Europe, it's almost laughable but I guess there are people that are willing to give up a lot of features for simply the name.

Oh and of course they also have to contend with mainstream brands going upmarket. (e.g. decking out a Rio with all the features but you give up some quality, craftsmanship and name).

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I bet many folks (and many MB buyers) in the US are unaware of their lesser vehicles like the A-class.

I sure didn't know about it until I went to Tokyo Motor Show years ago and saw them on the show floor. I believe that was in 2003. If they brought a vehicle like the one I saw to the US and put a Mercedes badge on it, that'd tarnish the brand, at least in the mind of US consumers.

I just found this random video at
    . That should give you an idea of its styling and interior quality vs. that of say the C-class. Also see Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Multiple brand names from one manufacturer is more of a North American thing than a European thing. I think Europeans don't need different brands to be able to tell the basic cars from the luxury cars.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh jeez that's the 1G A-Class. Yeah that was pretty crappy. The 2G is much better (and the recently launched 3G is miles ahead).

When the B-Class debuted in Canada in 2006, it was pretty basic too. Chrome trim, alloys and other minor items were optional. The base price of $29,900 rose fairly quickly. You had a choice of a 5-spd (6-spd in the Turbo) or a $1,500 optional CVT that was crap (after coming from a Prius, spending a week in the B200 CVT was an eye opener on how well Toyota designed the PSD). The Comfort/Sport button didn't seem to do anything either.

The 2013 model is a whole different animal. Same starting price but much, much better equipped with standard automatic (7-spd, no more CVT) and a host of safety electronics as standard equipment.