1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mercedes space saver tire on a 5x100 rim?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by EvanB, Jul 11, 2014.

1. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello,

After reading through all of the spare and doughnut treads I was unable to find if anyone has looked in to the Mercedes tires and if there is a way to get them on a wheel that works with the PIP.

In case you did not know the Mercedes spare is deflated, and expands when inflated, it is quite impressive. Here is a link to a vid (NSFW due to language) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj5mTCUWJO8

If we could get a tire like this on a wheel that fits the PIP that we may have a much smaller option for a spare.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cool, but must be $$$$.

SCH-I535

3. EvanB

EvanB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did a bit more research and there is a tire that is 145/70R17 that is only .1 of an inch different in diameter. However I have yet to find 1, this tire alone for sale and 2 a rim the the needed Prius bolt pattern that fits this tire.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I had one of these on my 1977 Chevy Monza V8. I can't say how it performed, because luckily, I never had to sue it. It had a CO2 cylinder that inflated it to the size of a full sized tire.

5. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    With a GM vehicle, you're lucky you never had to sue. :whistle:

xliderider likes this.
  6. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had one of these expandable jobs in my Audi allroad. Used it several times over my ownership, and it worked very well. The one that I had was made to fit a standard 7" rim, as thickness wasn't an issue for spare storage, rather diameter. I think that Is the case for most of these, so it may not be a suitable spare for a Prius... FYI.