1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD engine oil maintenance message

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IDrivePrymaat, Jul 26, 2014.

1. IDrivePrymaat

IDrivePrymaat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2005 with nav, original owner, just crossed 120000 miles and had the service at the dealer 2 weeks ago. No super interesting repair history on this one. They did reset the dashboard reminder light. Said the 12v tested ok.

Today I am seeing this on the MFD after pressing "I agree" on the map screen.
    image.jpg
    Oil level is right at the top marker. No dashboard indicators are lit. Don't recall seeing this before, and I'm not getting any hits searching for this message.

I performed the maintenance mode 12V test and got a just slightly low reading of 12.2v in the initial READY mode. The other 2 modes tested ok. The car was not driven for 2days prior to today, then made several trips in a 10 mile or so radius this morning.

Is this screen a usual 12v oddity? Or is this a separate maintenance reminder reset to be done? Or...?

p.s. this 12V is 5 years old.

#1 IDrivePrymaat, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you hit the info button?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps it is set to display at 120k? interesting that you can hit the 'do not display this message again'.

dorunron likes this.
  4. IDrivePrymaat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nope, did not go go info mode. It was on map mode when booted. I just hit the "I agree" map button and it displays this screen for maybe 10 seconds, then it goes away. And it didn't appear right at 120k, more like 120420 or so. It does this reliably for 4 or 5 boots now. I haven't hit the "Do not display again" button yet just because I'm curious whether it continues.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow. To me that looks like the sat nav software (or firmware) allows for a dealer inserted advert?

6. IDrivePrymaat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is an interesting theory. At first I assumed it was using the GPS to get the closest dealer, but now that I think about it, I'm much closer to Toyota of Pasadena but I hate their service dept. (maybe I hate Longo now too!). Still, if it shows up a couple hundred miles after I've been there for an engine oil service, they're definitely not doing it right.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a feature that looked similar to this on a previous Prius that I owned -- I can't exactly remember how you get to it. But if yours is the same, it is just a reminder that has reached it's trigger. Have a look around your menus and see if you can find a maintenance menu. Obviously you haven't programmed it in, but someone must have at some time.

This is not really a sophisticated feature, if it is like mine. You basically choose what you want to be reminded about, pick a date and a milage and which ever comes first triggers a screen similar to your photo to pop up. It will continue to pop up until either you go in and delete the reminder or press that "Do Not Display This Message Again" button.

hope this helps

8. IDrivePrymaat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, I found it! They apparently set it to go off 14 days or 95,000 miles after my last service :eek:.

9. IDrivePrymaat

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe you were trying to tell me to look under the info screen... sorry, I thought you were asking whether I had hit info.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base