1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD problems on 2002

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LumberLover, Aug 26, 2016.

1. LumberLover

LumberLover New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking for advice. My girlfriend is driving a 2002 Prius with 112,000 miles on it with the original HV battery. It has ran great without any problems however today the MFD on consumption it shows no electricity moving and on energy it shows no movement. The car displays no warning lights or error codes. I entered diagnostic mode and the 12v battery was reading 11.6 no load and 11.0 with the lights on. I am wondering if the low 12v battery could be the reason or is there a bigger problem ahead?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That 'diagnostic mode' built into the MFD isn't useful for much (besides the quick check of battery voltage that you've already found, and even that will typically be significantly lower than what you would measure if you put a meter across the battery terminals). But it does have a 'system check' screen that shows you OK or NG for the MFD's ability to communicate with other ECUs in the car (especially the gateway ECU), and I would check that screen if I were you, because those communication links are how the MFD is supposed to get the information that it seems to have stopped showing you.

-Chap