1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Screen issues-- 'Check Air Conditioner connection'? No consumption screen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stevenpashmina, May 23, 2012.

1. stevenpashmina

stevenpashmina New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

This morning on my way to work I noticed my consumption read out was blank, and I thought it was odd. I restarted the car, and everything seemed to be fine...until I took it out at lunch and got a message when I hit the climate button that said 'check air conditioner connection'. I googled it and it looks like the problem with the MFD that some people were having with it malfunctioning-- now the consumption screen is blank, the radio isn't working (except through the steering wheel), and the climate screen does nothing. The screen also seems to be taking a while to load.

And this all is just from this morning.

My main concern at this point: does this effect the actual driving/safety of the car? I mean, I know that without heat/ac/radio, that's a pain-- but is this connected to any of the other systems of the car? Am I at risk for breaking down because of this problem, or any other safety issues? Or is this just an expensive pain (especially coming into the summer.)

Also, I've seen online that it's upwards of 3,000 to fix this. On a 2004 with over 130,000 miles, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheaper fix? Does the whole thing need to be replaced? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In case you didn't see this:
    Prius MFD
    It explains one failure mode for these, with symptoms like yours. It's a bit of an odyssey getting to it, but it can be replaced by the DIYer.

There are a number of places with salvage units available now that Prii are getting in wrecks, i.e. AutoBeYours.com. Much less $ than what you were seeing for new ones. Others on PC here will chime in as well.

The main functioning of the drive train is not controlled by the MFD, so the car can carry on without problem.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seeing you noted a 2004 Prius, what is the condition of your +12 volt battery. When the 12 v battery heads south, goofy things happen. Do a battery test, and if you are sitting under 11 volts, time for a new battery, I would recommend an Optima!

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your first respondent pointed you in the correct direction. I followed the Hobbit's direction and repaired my own MFD. If you feel uncertain of your skills, contact Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV . Steve at AutoBeYours will offer you a solution for under $400.

JeffD

5. drbeef

drbeef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the 12 v battery in my 2004 prius with the Optima battery from elearnaid. The voltage was improved, read above 12.0 at all times in acc mode, and 14.0 with engine on. But, MFD gives reading "check the connection to air conditioner". Is this a battery problem? I took it to an a/c shop, they checked all of the connections and they think it's the MFD problem, but the a/c was working perfectly with the old battery until i installed the new one. I then reinstallled the old battery, in case the Optima battery is defective, but MFD reads the same. Did I blow out the MFD when I changed batteries, or is there a reset or reprogramming that is necessary for the ac? I would appreciate any help with this frustrating problem, esp with the outside temperature here in Florida close to 90 every day. Thanks

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I don't believe so.

If you mean blow up the MFD (as in destroy it) when you say blow out the MFD then no, I don't believe there is any co-relation of one to the other.

Did you even read nh70's post #2 and the link therein that pointed to Hobbits article? I believe this contains all the answers to your questions. Jeff's post #4 may be more applicable to your capabilities.

#7 dolj, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. PtotheRius

PtotheRius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just posted today about the same problem (no AC or powetrain/battery readings on the MFD) but on a 2007 Prius (so not the 2004 - 05 problem described here). Steering wheel controls work fine for the AC still.

The problem appeared during a shop's installation of an afternarket radio. The tech screwed out the MFD and left it dangling there and I suspect that he may have twisted a connection or something. Short of buying and installing another MFD what can I get the shop to do to try to fix this? I suppose I can check the connections going into the MFD... Is there a specific pin I should lookout for? Or is the problem likely to be on the circuitboard?

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    When you install an after market radio, you need to install a 68 ohm resistor between two terminals or you will get this error message. see: https://priuschat.com/threads/2005-prius-aftermarket-stereo-install-pdf.49438/

JeffD

10. PtotheRius

PtotheRius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgot to mention, this solved the problem! The tech had forgotten to install the resistor. Thank you!!!!

SFO likes this.
  11. DigitalNomad

DigitalNomad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base