1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Primacy MXM4 Review

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jun 29, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a middle ground tyre -- say, 16 inch diameter and 205 mm width that people like ?
    Averaging less than 50 mpg in my new car that comes with 17 inchers is going to put me into denial

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Touring model didn't seem to suffer to big of a hit so I would assume that a 16" wheel with a good LRR tire would be a nice comprise.

In a GenIII it's still possible to average 50+ mpg with the 17s if your commute is condusive to good mpg and or you hypermile a bit.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The local Lexus dealership offered me a car while waiting for my CT to arrive, but they did not have a CT to loan out so I politely declined. LOL

If it is not *at least* 40 mpg and a hatch, I'll drive the Prius

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stop it! You're making me jealous. : p

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    yeah you are making me jealous too. I came this close to blowing off the pip and ordering a ct instead. love those f sport trident wheels...

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Gee, I'm sorry, Justin ;)

Ggood, I hear ya. The f-sport has it's own color -- a blue-grey, that along with the wheels and whatever else comes in the package looks tremendous. All kinds of superlatives come to mind. I didn't know Lexus had it in themselves to design a car that causes deep emotion from the likes of me -- a car culture hating, rational to a fault old fart.

I didn't buy it, but I stared a lot.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I went back for a test drive this morning. Drove the f sport and the regular model back to back. The f sport does have a noticeably stiffer and more precise feel to it, especially when you dial up the sport mode. Seemed like a lot more road feel, not always in the good way. More jiggles being transmitted into the cabin. I still liked it, but I suspect I and most people would prefer the more dampened ride of the regular model. I also prefer the perforated leather seats I sat in last spring to the nuluxe.

Speaking of the seats, they are just heaven. FYI, it's possible to order either version of the the fsport wheels.

8. Captrpm

Captrpm New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    F8L,
    I agree with Brick on the toe issue. Would have been creating a lot of "scrub" and would have (only a guess) a 2-4 mpg difference over correct toe settings. In your list of upgrades I couldn't find the actual tire size (may have just missed it). On my '04, package 9, I have Koenig Theory 17x7 with Yokohama Avid H4s 215/40 R17 87H UTOG: 500-AA-A. I put them on at 15,637 mi. and now have 91,265 on the car. I am replacing them in the next week or so just haven't made a final decision on which tire yet since the H4s is discontinued, so I will update what tire I decide on once done. For the life of the Yokohama's I have averaged 45.7 mpg, on the highway here in AZ. (75 mph speed limit +10 before the cops look at you) on cruise with a/c on at 80 mph I get between 41/43 depending on wind. In town, I have seen 60+ mpg on a regular basis. The Yokohama's were quiet, extremely good in wet weather, good in snow/slush and outstanding on track days (yes, I open track and autocross the car). I have the same sway bar combo as you and the BT stiffeners but did not lower mine and no ScanGuageII. Having been a racer for the better part of 50 yrs I caught hell from all my buddies for buying the prius...............until some of them actually rode with me at the track (or on our Sunday morning back road runs) or drove the car. They were all impressed with the handling and braking (not so impressed with acceleration) and finally understood why I have so much fun with the car.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, I'm sure it hurt some but correcting the toe didn't seem to make a big difference. :(

Have you ever checked your speedometer vs. GPS? It should be WAY off to the tune of 4 mph or more. Your tire is rated approx 874 revs per mile. The OEM integrity was rated at 855 revs per mile and it made the speedometer 2 mph too fast on average. The 215/45/17 is rated at approx 844 and fixes the speedometer reading too fast. My assumption here is that you are traveling at approx 76mph when you think you are traveling at 80mph.

10. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The current price for the Primacy MXM4 in the 215/45-17 87W size is $189!

The OE compound Primacy MXM4 in the 215/45-17 87V for the CT200h is $153.

Those are huge price increases compared to 10 months ago.

Just today, I had a set of Primacy MXM4s installed onto my boss's car. On the 15 mile drive home from the tire shop, brand new, these tires stuck like glue to the road. They definitely grip better than my previous set of well broken in Primacy MXV4.

Also, there is a driveway that I turn into at 15-20 mph that will cause my current set of Energy Saver A/S to screech and scream loudly. These Primacy MXM4 made the same turn with no drama at all, and did so as though it was nothing.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike, we use the V-rated tire on the Prius as well. Pricing varies quite a bit on this tire. I paid around $139/ea but I have seen them as high as $165/ea for the same tire. All prices were at tirerack.com.

12. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still amazed at how good the grip was despite only having 15 miles on them. They're going to be fantastic once the mold release compound wears off.

MB860 ? 2

13. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    got them.. a bit pricy but like them

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel Efficiency

*UPDATE* 05/25/2012 - I am testing these tires (with the same wheels) on my new 2012 Prius Three. So far the results are pretty good. The mpg difference between these 17" tires and my 15" AVID Ascend (T) 195/65/15 tires is fairly small. I am observing a 3mpg difference so far. This is a far cry from the 6-8mpg difference I was observing between this tire and the 185/65/15 dB Super E-Spec I ran on my GenII. So while I still feel this tire is not the best in terms of fuel efficiency, it is not as bad as I thought and is clearly a good choice as a quality replacement tire if you place an emphasis on quality of ride, quietness, long treadwear and outstanding wet traction. My last tank while driving conservatively in Eco Mode in my GenIII was 56.4mpg indicated.

Noise

*UPDATE* 05/25/2012 - Now that I have the 2012 GenIII I can compare these tires to the larger 195/65/15 AVID Ascend that I normally run. In terms of total decibels I feel these two tires are pretty darn close. I think the MXM4 is quieter in some cases and louder in others. To even compare to a quality 15" tire in terms of quietness really says a lot about the MXM4. Usually 17" tires are much louder.

15. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    New tires stick, period. I've taken several extreme corners and turnarounds 45+ mph with my week old Michelin Energy Savers A/S and they do not make a sound.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW I have close to 10,000 miles on my AVID Ascend and my Primacy MXM4 and neither make a sound when cornering hard. :) My dB Super E-Spec tires would start to scream once they were wore down to 5/32 or so. Hopefully I will get to test the Energy Saver A/S soon.

17. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    F8L, your tire posts are great. I am getting a headache though. I have only 2500 miles on OE tires, and due to your posts am trying to discern what tires I will buy next.

Ideal tire: same or better mpg; QUIETER; same or better handling. I guess I am thinking more about tire characteristics then ever before. Once about 15-18 yrs ago I had bought Michelins for whatever car we were driving then and was amazed about quiet and what seemed like "better rolling" and just bought whatever Michelin's Costco had since.

So what is the best 15" tire?

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my tire posts give most people headaches so you are not alone. :)

Best is such a subjective word when it comes to tires. There are many qualities one must consider so there really is no tire that is the best in every regard.

My choices:
    1. Max efficiency and lowest cost per mile but poor handling = Michelin Energy Saver A/S (65,000 miles)
    2. Great handling and very low cost per mile = Yokohama AVID Ascend (T) (85,000 miles)
    3. Something in between but poorer traction = Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 (65,000 miles)
    4. Great handling and traction but less mpg = Continental ProContact w/EcoPlus (80,000 miles)

See my other tire threads for more information. Unfortunately I have not been able to test the Ecopia EP422 or the ProContact but my roommate swapped from the Ecopia EP100 to the ProContact and he said the EP100 got better gas mileage but the handled like crap compared to the ProContact. He used to race Corvettes so I trust his opinion. FWIW the EP100 handles better than the EP422.

Yokohama AVID Ascend Review | PriusChat
    Michelin Energy Saver A/S Review | PriusChat
    Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat

19. RudeBoiM3

RudeBoiM3 Do it once, Do it Right!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey F8L, thanks for the review on the Michelin Primacy MXM4. I was due for new tires and pulled the trigger on these 215 45 17. Tire rack has a special on them today for $87/tire plus a $70 rebate from Michelin. Great deal! Thanks!

Bagito likes this.
  20. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced