1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Midway, 30k mi, tire report

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, May 19, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    About 30,000 miles ago, I put larger diameter tires on the front and standard size tires on the rear:
    • 195/70R14 (849 rev/mi) - front
    • 175/70R14 (886 rev/mi) - rear
    This configuration has improved the straight-line stability and so far, no handling problems even with emergency stops. The speedometer and odometer read ~6% low.

I've been looking at the tire wear and both the front and rear appear to be roughly equal. Ordinarily, one would rotate tires front/rear. I had always seen the front tires come off with more wear than the rear. But it makes sense that the slower turning, larger diameter front tires are wearing at nearly the same rate as the rear tires.

The advantages of having larger diameter tires up front:
    1. straight light stability is improved
    2. 6% overdrive reduces transmission and rolling drag - requires manual calibration and/or use of GPS for speed and distance measurements
    3. moves hybrid threshold speed from 41 mph to 44 mph for better city mileage
    4. tire-wear front and rear appears to be equal rates - no need to rotate
    The disadvantage is acceleration should be slower but I don't perceive it to be a problem as our NHW11 has never been a 'drag racer.' The ending speed of a maximum hill climb is ~91-92 mph versus ~95 mph but this is well within normal performance range.

Bob Wilson

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bob the gen1 Prius does not appear to be as sensitive to odd tyre sizes as the gen2 Prius. I know from experimentation and reports from others on PC that this produces ABS and VSC problems with warning lights on the gen2 and almost certainly on the gen3 particularly as you speed goes over 50 mph.

This would also go against advice to put the tyres with the best grip on the rear of the car. The larger diameter tyre would by definition have a larger footprint and therefore more grip, but there is no reason why the larger tyres could not also be fitted to the rear.

Interesting results though.

John (Britprius)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks John,

We're probably two years away before testing oversized tires on our ZVW30. However, I might be able to replicate it by reducing the rear tire pressure to the door jam, 32 psi or lower, while keeping the front at 52 psi or a little higher.

Unlike the NHW10, the ZVW30 has acceptable handing and straight line stability. The other attributes are not quite as important in the ZVW30 as the NHW10 gets a nice urban speed improvement. Then I keep thinking about the 'donut' spare that to my eyes looks significantly smaller . . . not that I have one any longer. I replaced it with a full-size spare.

As for grip, I would have though having the steering and drive wheels in firm control would be more desirable than the rear. But this is not an area I have any expertise . . . I don't drive that way.

Bob Wilson

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I myself have always prefered to have the best tyres and grip on the front wheels on a front wheel drive car. I have been shot down here on PC for suggesting this so now generally keep a low profile on this subject.

Fitting the doughnut does produce warning lights at speed on my gen2 with 195/55/16- 851 RM OEM tyres. I now run 205/55/16's- 830 RM but have not yet run the doughnut with them.

John (Britprius)

5. alexkrishnan

alexkrishnan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This situation can lead to oversteer (where the back of the vehicle can slip out more than the front during a turn), which can be bad if the driver doesn't know how to handle it. If you understand how to handle an oversteering situation, you should be fine.