1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage concern

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sanlen, Jun 21, 2014.

1. sanlen

sanlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I just got my Prius and made the test drive around the city. On my consumption screen, within 19 miles, I get only 24.9 MPG.

Does this normal for short distance driving? I heard some people got 40+ MPG or 50+ MPG.
    Do I have to make longer drive in order to see the impact?

I am pretty new image.jpg image.jpg to Prius.

Thank
    sanlen

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sanlen – Judging from the snapshot of the GEN 2 Consumption Screen, it is likely that the 24.9 MPG displayed is accurate for the short 19-miles distance traveled after you did the Trip Reset. I am guessing that the trend of the 24.9 number was slowly increasing towards higher MPG numbers.

I see that the indicated outside air temperature is 93°F, and that your driving technique has generated no “Green Cars (=50Wh Regenerated).” The 93°F tells me you are likely running at Full Air Conditioning, which is a fuel economy “Hit” to your running MPG. The absence of you regenerating “Green Cars” during your 19-miles of driving tells me you likely are not driving “Hybrid $mart,” indicating you are getting no or very little positive contribution to your MPG from the Hybrid Synergy Drive (HSD) of the Prius.

#2 catgic, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    cwerdna likes this.
  3. sanlen

sanlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thank for your quick respond.

I am actually pretty new to this Hybrid thing. I will make a test on long drive.

Anyhow, could you please kindly advise some good techniques to get best out of this car?

Regards,
    sanlen

4. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    thank for your quick respond.
    I am actually pretty new to this Hybrid thing. I will make a test on long drive.
    Anyhow, could you please kindly advise some good techniques to get best out of this car?

Regards,
    sanlen

Sanlen – Welcome to the Hybrid “Hive.” Click on the “10 Hybrid Basics & Best Practices Tips Guide To Prius Ultra High MPG” link in my signature.

The 10 Hybrid Basics & Best Practices Tips Guide To Prius Ultra High MPG web page it leads you to was designed to be a One-Stop Shop where fuel economy conscious Prius hybrid drivers can quickly get Up On The Fuel Economy Step regarding learning how to Drive Hybrid $mart. It attempts to collect and lay out in one place, the basic information-knowledge-techniques needed for a Prius hybrid driver to quickly get "Hybrid $mart," and start achieving day-to-day, real-world fuel economies that regularly meet or beat the Official U.S. EPA Fuel Economy Rating of their particular hybrid vehicle.

Read and apply the advice and techniques recommended there, and you should be able to start seeing mid-to-high 40s MPG Per Tank-Fulls, even in the summer heat and monsoon season of Phnom Penh.

#5 catgic, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree not to worry about that initial number. The conditions probably weren't ideal and the driving trips were probably too short. It usually takes trips of at least 30 minutes to get into the 45+ mpg averages. There are so many variables. Route is a big one. Some routes are very difficult to obtain high mpg averages on. Other routes are ideal for high mpg.

I have one disagreement with an earlier post, mentioning that you weren't regenerating enough energy (although it looks like you haven't driven 5 minutes yet--there are no 5-minute bars for the green cars to appear in). I believe it's best to minimize the amount of regeneration, due to the losses in the regen-electric drive loop. Some regeneration is normal and unavoidable but you want to minimize it. For example, if you drive down a city street, brake to a stop every 50 feet and then accelerate again, you'll be regenerating more energy than if you drove down the same street at a constant speed, but your mpg average will be much lower. It's better to conserve momentum than regenerate lots of energy.

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If those 19 miles were at 75mph then that 24.9 might be legit, I'd suggest restarting the trip meter and driving 20 miles at 20-30mph, not going from stop sign to stop sign but cruising around and see what the numbers are.
    Just drive the speed limit, get quickly to speed and coast up to stops, pump the tires up to 40 and enjoy.
    Did you buy from a dealer with an aftermarket warranty or private sale?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the model year and odometer reading of the car?
    What is the accident history of the car?
    Has all required servicing per the maintenance schedule been performed, especially replacing the iridium spark plugs if the car has logged more than 120K miles?
    It appears that this is a used US model that was exported to Cambodia?

Take a long drive on level terrain, ~50 mph speed, and see what mpg is logged. It should be in the 40 mpg range or better. Take a photo of the multifunction display when it shows the histogram of bars displaying mpg attained over the most recent 30 minutes of driving.

8. sanlen

sanlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank all for your comments/advise.

This is the 2007 Prius was exported from US to Cambodia last month. There were no major accident as per its VIN number and base on VIN, this car was well maintained by the previous owner. Its current mileage is 100582 now. Parts which i have replaced are: Engine Air Filter, Cabin Air Filter, Engine & Transmission Fluid.

I will test this car on the long drive next month (~500km round trips) and report back how he will perform :)

Regards,
    sanlen

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you find that the mpg does not improve on longer trips you may consider replacing the iridium spark plugs. Try to use the correct NGK or Denso plugs, not a cheaper substitute. The correct plugs are rated for a 120K mile service life.

10. sanlen

sanlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have been driving 105 miles now (only in city) and it is increasing from 24.9 MPG to 30 MPG now. Hope this will keep moving up with longer drive :)

I will post all the status here.

Thank all for your kind support.

sanlen

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the length of your typical city drive?

For example, is a typical drive only 2-3 miles in length? If yes, don't expect to get very good mpg for that usage. The Prius runs the gasoline engine to warm up the catalytic converter and therefore mpg during the first five minutes of operation is typically around 25-30 mpg.

12. sanlen

sanlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

In average, it is less than 10km per route, and it normally takes 10mn - 20mn depend on the traffic condition. I have checked on 05 and 06 Prius of my friends and the consumption is only 30.1 MPG & 32 MPG, respectively. With this kind of commuting, can you please advise some tips for the better mileage?

I might have to test this on the longer drive to see the performance :)

regard,
    sanlen

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My best tip is not to drive the car on such short trips. However you probably won't think that is practical advice, so just drive the car and live with the mpg that it produces.

14. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Reset the trip computer.

If the car has been stat stationary for ages with the a/c on whilst people were test driving it or just keeping cool, then your average will take an age to creep up from where it is now. Somebody might not have turned it off correctly if it's a keyless car and it could potentially have sat all night switching the engine on and off, hitting your mpg average.

Reset the mpg and then see what the average is for the next week.

16. sanlen

sanlen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I reset the MPG then i refilled my tank to full. I made 117 miles and just refilled my tank to full again. It cost me 9.77 liters.
    I am not sure if this is good or bad for Prius.

Please kindly advise.

Regards,
    sanlen

17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well 9.77 litres is 2.58 US gallons. Or 45.3 mpg US (or 54.4 mpg UK).

It's not bad for a first attempt. It up there with what most people will get without trying. I'd be happy with it. I averaged 41 mpg US/49.9 mpg UK over 35,000 miles/12 months in my taxi job and was happy with it.

I think there's nothing wrong with your car, just previously the average had been run down.

Double check your tyre pressures as even 1 or 2 psi low can make a difference.

And more importantly, enjoy the smooth, relaxing and quiet ride :)

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's a very small fill-up and thus there's a VERY large margin of error. OP, I'd run your tank much lower and average your figures over MANY "tank fulls" to get more accurate figures.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Just two refills is sufficient to cancel out any anomalies, and there's no need to run your tank way down. If you're off one way (if at all) on the first fill, it'll cancel out on the next.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.