1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage improvement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mike@Lincoln, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Mike@Lincoln

Mike@Lincoln Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We have been going frequently to see our new Granddaughter in Brentwood (CA). Round trip from Sacramento is about 220 miles. Trip before last I pumped up the tires to 41/39 but was disappointed with 48 MPG for the trip. Previous trips were in the range of 48-50 on the trip computer. Yesterday I tried 89 octane fuel before we left. I have always used 87 before. Most of the trip was freeway 65
    mph on cruise.

Would you believe I got 55.2 for the entire trip! I was not expecting that! I think I will continue to use 89 octane and see if the improved mileage continues. I was under the understanding that higher octane only improved "pinging".. Right now I have 3100 miles on the Prius.

Last trip and the latest trip were identical. Weather, speed, route and time of day.

2. dcscm1

dcscm1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Mike. Interesting on the octane difference. Keep us posted on whether you see a sustained difference. It may be due to other variables, but only time will tell.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My hill climb data suggests 89 octane works better in hills and high power settings:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson