1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mistakes of a Newbie Hybrid Owner

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Dan Lovell, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Being a new owner of a C, what I have found is that the faster I get up to cruise speed the less gasoline my C uses. For example, if I am at a red light, and the speed limit is 45mph, once the light turns green, I press the accelerator nearly to the floor and jet up to 45 asap, then once there, I back off and feather the accelerator to maintain 45 mpg. I find this will maximize economy and is much better than getting to 45 mph gradually.

Anyone find this to be true? Any thoughts?

Brad K likes this.
  2. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen this technique advocated by some, but, have never tested it. Being an old city driver of tractor trailers I prefer to try and time lights so I stop less frequently. I therefore use momentum to obtain excellent mileage. The habit is a holdover from my truck driving days and was used to make better time and shift thru the 10 gears less frequently. Old habits die hard. Regardless of how you drive your C you'll get good MPG's. It's a car that you'll appreciate more and more as time goes by.

flotowngtm and orenji like this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found this technique to be true when I first started driving my 2010 Liftback and use it daily.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I really doubt that it is "much" better but there is a reason that happens.

If you accelerate REAL slowly, the first part is battery only; max. efficiency.
    If you accelerate just enough to keep from being run over, the engine has to run and does most of the work.
    If you accelerate harder, it uses both battery and gas and gets to the sweet spot sooner.

I suspect that long term the difference will be pretty small.
    You can't always believe the displays over a short period.

mtbiker53 and orenji like this.
  5. I would recommend testing out your ECO start score, which is the display with the green arc and a little red PWR meter up and to the right. If you're (almost) flooring it, then you'll see a Start score in like the 20s. I find it's more efficient to stay out of the PWR zone. I've routinely gotten Start scores in the 90s this way.
    Not to mention, you're putting a lot of stress on the engine early in the life of your car by almost flooring it with each go, which just seems like not a great thing to do.

Ronan and orenji like this.
  6. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's true... but it depends on the distance you have to travel before you need to stop again. Obviously, the longer the distance you travel between stops the better your mileage will be (best example is a highway on-ramp). If it's stop and go traffic or between short blocks, you're better off with slow to moderate acceleration/pulse rather than gunning it. ;)

Ronan and orenji like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a form of Pulse & Glide, and has been noted on non-hybrids as well. But it varies with the details of the car and the actual driver style. Short answer, the old advice of driving as if there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal, is overly simplistic. Brisk acceleration has its place even in hypermiling.

8. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This style of driving on a daily basis will only shorten your life of the engine. So if you plan on keeping it for a long time better off driving it easy.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have been doing this for close to five years now and plan to keep my car for years to come. I disagree that this will shorten the life of the engine. It is not like we are drag racing between lights LOL. We are only accelerating "briskly" as compared to slow acceleration.

Dan Lovell likes this.
  10. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's a debate in Gen III forum regarding driving in PWR mode to save gas. Advocates say it does. The theory is much like the OP suggest. Regardless of PWR mode or not, getting up to speed quickly is the key. The Prius C doesn't have PWR mode so pressing hard on the accelerator pedal is the only way to do it. Gen III and the V have PWR mode which makes quick acceleration easier without pressing too hard on the pedal.

11. Yup. I ended up hitting the RPM up to 2800 earlier today because it was a merger and two drivers in these big 4x4s took a while to get up to speed, but one of them tried to pass me earlier, so I was just like... vroom... up da hill pwr :LOL:

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are shortening the life of your engine, you are also exceeding the power level where P&G saves fuel.

13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    (1) Highly unlikely. The difference in engine strain and wear between......say 2K RPMs and 3500-4K is pretty much non-existent. Now.....IF you floored it and kept I there for a LONG time, going as fast as it would go, that would be a whole 'nuther matter.

(2) Probably true the way the OP stated it. Not necessary OR desirable to "floor it" to achieve brisk acceleration.

14. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this is true on my Prius liftback 3rd gen, especially after done with the recall.
    I would assume the same situation on Prius C for maximizing mpg.

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I like your technique. That is what I try to do and it works well for me in my Prius.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, i picked up 20% on my mpg's by slamming it every time i accellerate.(y)

17. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Time for a vote.
    Who thinks Bisco is trying to be funny.......and who thinks he really believes that ??
    :)

Ronan likes this.
  18. :ROFLMAO: life is just a bit rough for him, he's got to make it to 17,000 posts soon :LOL:

19. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Noticed this too.

SCH-I535 ?

20. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c