1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MIT student ingenuity plus high-tech batteries yields advanced all-electric Porsche

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wiyosaya, May 29, 2008.

1. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    An update to this post:

Full story.

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Put me on the waiting list. I love Porsches. I wish I could buy a new Carrera or Cayman (hard-top boxster) with a hybrid drive, like the Prius. I don't need to do 0-60s. Once up to speed, I can have fun going around corners though. Plus, just for everyday driving, Porsches handle great.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are conversion shops here and there that will convert basically any car to electric. Costs range from perhaps $20,000 or $30,000 to over $100,000 depending on how much battery capacity you want (beyond a 30 or 40 mile range you need lithium batteries, which cost more per mile of range than lead batteries) and how powerful a motor you want. And a used Porsche as the donor car costs more than a used VW bug. So your end costs range from not much over $20,000 for a junker converted to do low speeds over short distances, to maybe $150,000 or more for a new Porsche that performs like a gas Porsche and has 100 miles or so of range.

They apparently considered it news that the MIT student(s) did this. But there's nothing new in it. If you've got the money you can buy one.