1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Review - FullyCharged

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Hybrids and EVs' started by GrumpyCabbie, Oct 19, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For those who are interested, here's a little review about the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV from Robert Llewellyn.

I especially like the ability to fast charge the PHEV with a Chademo fast charger. Because the battery is small relative to a BEV it only takes about 10-15 minutes to charge up.

The more I see of the Outlander, the more I like it. Toyota, take note of this car. It's cheaper than your PIP and unless the gen4 PIP is GOOD you're going to lose sales, at least in the UK.

[​IMG]

Emcguy and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I'd really like to see the 2nd gen Volt with an 18-20 kwk battery have a DC charge capability. It would be a good way of maximizing electric drivability in regional metropolitan environments.

At the very minimum, it should be able to charge at or near the full 32A range of most public charging stations versus the 15A rate in the first generation cars.

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    32A is old hat, or at least barely useful. Many home chargers here are 32 amp 220v. I think the fast(er) chargers like Chademo and the VW/BMW CCS (22KW) are the minimum needed. You don't mind a 10 minute wait whilst having a coffee to fully charge your car, but 30 mins for 10 miles on 32amp is a bit poor.

Frequently Asked Questions - For The Road - Ecotricity

4. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota may be conflicted about plug-ins, but Mitsubishi isn't. Check out 2016 Outlander PHEV details announced at NYIAS (there's a pretty good article at InsideEVs, but this forum's "new user" rules keep me from posting a link). Styling's dull as dirt, but otherwise an interesting package, especially if MMNA's as aggressive on pricing as Mitsu's been in the UK.

Still very hard to figure why Mitsu's withheld the most U.S.-oriented plug-in on earth from North America. Judging from Mitsubishi leaders' comments at NYIAS on the launch of the 2016 Outlander, it's possible they feared the Gen1 Outlander PHEV wasn't sufficiently refined for the U.S. market. Seeing as they've been selling all they can make in Europe and Japan, MMC might not have been feeling a lot of pressure to open up the U.S. front until they were "ready", but Mitsu's U.S. dealers have really been taking it in the neck on this one. There's no direct competition on the horizon (the C-Max Energi's far tinier, GM never greenlighted the comparable Volt MPV5, and PHEVs coming from Volvo and Audi are up at an entirely different price point, at least a $10k premium), so the Outlander PHEV may still be able to do okay next year. But it's hard to avoid feeling that Mitsubishi has left a lot of money on the table - and GM could still change their mind on the MPV5.

5. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe Mitsubishi don't want to rock the boat? Look what happened to Toyota when they became #1 in the US and Government Motors were knocked to second place?

Do they want to take all those PHEV sales from the Government sponsored Volt and risk the wrath like Toyota?

bisco likes this.
  6. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that the towing ability of hybrids is a big element holding back Aussie uptake. Hopefully the Outlander PHEV does well and Gen IV prius allows small braked trailers.

7. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is the Outlander PHEV sold in Oz?

I checked the UK website and it indicates that the PHEV can tow, though not a great amount, it's apparently in line with similar vehicles.

FAQ | Outlander PHEV | Mitsubishi Motors UK

"Fully competitive with comparable vehicles the Outlander PHEV has a towing capacity of 1,500kg (braked), about the weight of a medium caravan."

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The government wanted to axe the Volt during GM's bail out, but it is still seen as Obama's car that riles up a certain segment here. Plus the crash testing fire, there was really only one, got a lot of negative press along with the Tesla S.

9. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure how it looks from across the pond, but it would be easy to overstate the "wrath" that you think Toyota faced. I don't think "hey they're beating up our national champion" is a thing in this market for anyone but the UAW. The Prius is far more popular than the Volt, and politicians and federal bureaucrats don't waste any breath complaining about it.

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The info I gained was purely from this forum at the time.

I was strange that when the pipped GM to the #1 spot they suddenly had the Government and press sniffing all over them about the unintended acceleration issues that weren't. Not had any reports of it since then.

Toyota had to pay their 'fine', dropped from #1 spot again and all was well. GM went back to selling oversized pickups and their trophy Volt.

Mitsubishi are too small to fight the same fight and decided (as others are starting to) that there are other profitable markets out there instead of the overly competitive and restrictive US.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of u/a?

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There was some gap between Toyota getting the number one spot and the unintended acceleration issue. Which had a dramatic 911 recording from a passenger about to die to start those flames. Our press will jump on anything that lets them get away from reporting on news actually important to the citizens of this country. The Volt and Tesla fires were also used for that purpose.

The fine was, in part, because Toyota withheld info about complains of UA happening in another country. I think in Europe.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps media driven, but a witch hunt, none the less.

Scarface2005 likes this.
  14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    GM and Ford have both had questionable actions with issues that should have been addressed or recalled and those never made the the press, or importantly the Government/regulators, go crazy in the same way.

GM finds steering flaw, decides it doesn't warrant a recall

GM: Steps to a recall nightmare - CNNMoney

The ignition switch is responsible for 12 deaths. Why not the continued slating in the press - internationally even, like with Toyota?

Mitsubishi do right to avoid releasing the car in a market that would bite it on the arse for doing so.

15. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    United Artists?
    ;)
    Our hybrid Lexus SUV is towing rated, so although I haven't yet found the spec, I'd bet a $1 the Phev Outlander will be too. I'll see what I can come up with.

17. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The OL PHEV is sold in Israel but the price here is 29% higher than PiP! How it is compared in the UK? Does it get more incentives than the Pip?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    about the same as pip in uk.

giora likes this.
  19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The base Outlander PHEV is £100 ($156) less than the PIP.

bisco likes this.
  20. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Not sure if this was answered, but is this coming to USA?