1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MN Tesla owners show their Model S cars to Iowans

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Minnesota Tesla Owners Show Banned Model S To Iowa Electric-Car Shoppers

Because Iowa banned Tesla from selling in their state, or even offering test drives, a bunch of Model S owners in Minnesota drove to Iowa to let interested Iowans try them out for themselves.

I find it interesting how politicians and dealerships are trying to make it hard for Tesla to sell their vehicles to people. And despite that, there's still a lot of demand for them that Tesla can barely keep up.

I wonder what will happen when the Model 3 comes out in a few years. A lot of states are probably going to be losing out on a lot of taxes if they keep trying to ban them.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My state and likely most others charge taxes on cars when first registered. So they won't lose out on taxing Teslas. The banning states attitude will change when the dealer association backed politicians are voted out.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a phenomenal event!
    While I couldn't attend, I helped organize a bit and gave moral support;-)

We had 5-6 minnesota owners and 4-5 Iowa owners joined in.
    Rough estimates are over 140 test rides given and the group spoke with many hundreds of people between Friday and Saturday.

We were all amazed by the turnout.
    There were about 30 people at the test drive event that the Dealers, through the DOT got shut down.
    This owner driven event drew over 300-500 people, news stories at two local TV stations and numbers of blogs (InsideEVs, GreenCarReports, Road and Track, etc).

I'm thinking the dealer that called the DOT to "alert" them of the "illegal" test drive event is wishing he kept his mouth shut.

austingreen, F8L and Ashlem like this.