1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model Years and Trims with USB audio integration?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by WILLYumD, Jul 13, 2014.

1. WILLYumD

WILLYumD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking to get a Prius and a major, while vain, feature I'd like is a (pre-installed) audio system with USB-iPod integration. (Non-wired connections are a pet peeve of mine, and CD/DVDs are not as convenient to use.)

What is the oldest (assuming with age comes a reduced price) Prius model year that can support the USB connection? I did some light research and found that the 2010 Prius II is the "cheapest" option. But that's a really confusing result due to Toyota's sudden 2011 revamp of the Prius and the addition of the USB port, which apparently was released in the 2012 model year.

Or should I buy an older Prius and just change out the audio system? (If this is the better choice, how old should I go? As in generations/model years.)

Sorry, it's a weird question, all input is gratefully appreciated.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota started adding the USB port in the mid-year 2010 Prius, at least after the earliest builds. My 2010 Prius III (Three now) with a July 2009 build date came with the USB port.

I do not know whether the 2010 Prius II has the USB or not.

3. WILLYumD

WILLYumD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where is the port located? I'd just like to know so I can look at pictures online of used cars to see if they have the port, quicker than driving to the dealer. Also, I looked up the USB Interface Kit for 2010 Prius and apparently it does not like the iPhone, have you tried it with the iPhone (4S, maybe)?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The USB port is in the rear of the middle console. I doubt you will see it in dealer photos.

The USB port is made for MP3 music files on memory sticks, iPods, etc and not for phones.

WILLYumD likes this.
  5. WILLYumD

WILLYumD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again. I see. Does the car's sound system take control of the device, as in accessing the files itself? Or can we change the track and volume and whatnot via the device?

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My car has the Nav display and I have two albums on a memory stick. The USB device shows up as a tab just like a CD, SAT radio, etc. I have full control of the albums and songs, just like a CD.

I cannot speak to a car without Nav.

7. harper42

harper42 Member

My 2010 did not have the usb but the dealer just gave me a cord - standard audio cord: straight round plug which goes into your device and into a round hole in the center console. Always worked great with my car audio speakers. I did have to control track and volume with the device though.

8. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I understand, the 2010-2011 Prius with the JBL systems have the USB port. I have an early build 2010 IV with JBL system and it has the USB port. 2012 is the first year where USB is standard due to the entune system.

9. WILLYumD

WILLYumD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright makes sense. Cool, too, I can have a little flashdrive stuck in as a dedicated music drive.

Ahh, the trusty 3.5mm AUX jack. What trim do you have? I think it's a decent compromise, I still get the music, just not the car-integrated controls.

I'll make sure to remember that if I do go pre-2012. Thanks!

From what you guys have replied, if I do get a Prius, it'll probably be a 2nd generation one. The USB integration is nice and all, but considering the $15k price tags to get that, I'm not so sure it'll be a great investment for a small feature. Is there a reason that I should go 3rd gen? Like safety or comfort changes?

10. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius III I bought in July 2010 did NOT have a USB. So YMMV. Pretty sure you needed the IV to get that but not positive.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sounds like just the units with the Nav came with the USB port then. My 2010 III has the USB but I also have the Nav unit.

robertk328 likes this.
  12. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's probably it then!