1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modifying brake pedal for left foot braking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by subjective, Feb 5, 2014.

1. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have searched but not found anything on this subject. Due to some right leg injury, I brake with my left foot. The Prius seat does not fit me to begin with but to brake with my left foot requires reaching uncomfortably at an angle too far to the right. After driving for many years in sports cars and BMW manual or automatic cars with no problems, The Prius is giving me problems. I have never really liked the pedal arrangement with small spacing on Japanese cars. The engineering is still obviously with small people in mind. I am 6', 170 lbs. so not a huge person but Toyota should realize by this time that 1 size does not fit all the people of the world. Has anyone successfully modified the brake pedal to extend farther to the left so to more naturally brake with the left foot. Thank you for any ideas. I am now investigating a Japanese auto transmission racing brake pedal RAZO RP122A which is designed to use left, right or both feet for braking. Hopefully this is what I need to solve my problem and I have ordered one to try. Reviews report this as a quality precision racing part that extends the pedal farther to the left. I have now installed the brake pedal cover from this kit and this installation makes braking more comfortable for me. I used screws to attach this plate rather than use the supplied straps which I did not like. By using 2 ea #10 self drilling screws and pre drilling the holes in the steel brake pedal, this made a very strong installation which looks good. Now with some experience with this brake pedal cover, I can report that this has been a very good improvement for me in my left foot braking.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you thought about extended seat tracks, or hand controls?

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a set of Ultimate Pedals and they can easily custom-make an extra wide brake pedal that extends to the left. Just contact Rob Baylor at [email protected] and he'll email you the stock brake pedal dimension and you'll be able to modify it as you wish. There will be a one-time $25 setup/programming fee in addition to the brake pedal price.

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm surprised there is anyone out there that would be willing to accept the liability .

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    False. Rob Baylor has custom-made an extra wide "old school" brake pedal for a different car. They add various extensions to the gas pedal all the time so it's nothing new for them. Notice that it's a pedal cover that attaches over the factory brake pedal sheet metal so it's not akin to modifying the brake mechanics.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm certain that there are special pedals designed for people with special needs. Look for accessibility aids for the handicapped.

Sapphire Dragon likes this.
  7. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, never thought that could be a problem. Ever since I stopped driving standard transmissions about 30 years ago I've always braked with my left foot just so it would have something to do. Never had a problem. But I'm not real tall so maybe it's different for me. Good luck.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Studies have shown that two-footed driving increases pedal confusion so this is best avoided unless you have a right leg injury that restricts its use and reaction time.

Adric likes this.
  9. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do not doubt what you report. I have used left foot braking since my 21st yr. in all types of cars and have not ever been charged with an accident. Perhaps the coming Prius Gen lV will be more comfortable to more people. Thank you

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I began as a left foot braker in an old car that was very prone to stalling whenever the right foot completely released the gas pedal. It took some conscious effort to quit on the next car. After that, manual transmissions insured that left foot braking was dead.

A problem with some left foot brakers is 'riding the pedal', lightly but unconsciously applying the brake much or all the time. People behind see this crazy driver applying the brakes will accelerating most of the way up hills, and for long periods on the freeway, but the driver's only feedback will be prematurely worn brake pads.

In a manual transmission, 'riding the pedal' prematurely wears out the clutch instead.

11. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I don't think they included me in their study!

Allen

12. Gerberknight

Gerberknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you tried the portable left good accelerator? You might be able to use it as a break pedal as well.

There are some on ebay.