1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moon Roof Pros and Cons (Camry)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ggood, May 15, 2006.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm debating whether to accept an early allocation on a Camry Hybrid with NAV and moonroof, etc. It's likely I could special order without the moonroof, if I'm willing to wait 3 to 4 months. It's not something I ever cared about having, especially for $940. I know it cuts down headroom by an inch. I'm also wondering if it increases wind or highway noise inside the cabin. Anyone have any comments or insights about noise in particular or any other pros and cons of moonroofs? By the way, what's the difference (if any) between a moonroof and a sunroof?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sunroof - piece of metal that can tilt and slide
    moonroof - piece of glass that can tilt and slide and comes with a sunshade

My preference is a moonroof since it's glass and I have the option of glass or shade.

I'm pro-moonroof because I can ventilate the car without having wind blow in my face (as well as dust and other road debris). It's also nice on a cool spring or autumn day to let the cool air sink into the car. In addition, there's glass so looking up at buildings (as stupid as it may sound) or airplanes in the passenger seat is easier.

3. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A moonroof is pretty cool. I had one on my Matrix that I just traded in for my Prius. I did buy the wind deflector for the moonroof, because when you open the moonroof up, it is noisy. The wind deflector cuts down the noise tremendously! Buy the wind deflector. Other than that, enjoy the view up.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My daddy told me long ago never to buy a car with a hole in the roof.

Having seen the leaks from friends sun/moon roofs over the years, I've personally found it to be sound advice.

If you do get one just be prepared to keep the drain channels clean, and look out for ice dams in the winter as the interior gets warm after a nice night of freezing rain :)

I must admit, I did once have a car with a sunroof. A Volkswagon Diesel with so few horsepower that A/C, while available, would increase the 0-60 time from the base 15 seconds or so up into the mid-20s.

It helped with ventilation when I lived far from the city, though it did leak on occasion.

However, when I moved into the city, I found that the first time I got stuck for 6 hours on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in 99 degree weather with 99% humidity, that it wasn't quite up to the task of ventilation there.