1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More light and then some

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Palulf, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi

Dearing a post in the non noob section.

I just read (again) that a 20 year old person sees twice as much light as a 40 year old person and that a person over 60 could see as much as 5 times less.

I am guessing this loss of light is more noticeable when it is dark than when it is daylight. I am 40+ and think my eyes work fine, but I can't swap them out and check with a couple of younger ones. I would probably be shocked too see the difference.

So... this brings me to my point.
    I am getting older and how can I add some more light to the Prius (ours is a 2010)?

(I searched the forum but found mostly how to retrofit a Prius without fog lights.)

I guess it is simple, just go buy a couple of lights and add them, but can it be done without spending too much money, buying a kit, ruining the aerodynamics or pulling too much power? And then there is the legal question. How much light can you add? Because it can never be enough. I certainly can't get enough on my offroad bike late at night in the mountains.

I live in Norway and here you can not output more than 480 lux in total.
    This is a bit difficult for me to grasp, but I think lux is lumen per m2.

But where can we add the new lights...?

I guess I can replace the fog lights, put them behind the grill or on the roof, but the last one is not an option. Behind the grill could be an option if there is enough room. Maybe a combination of the two. That would be 4 lights with possibly very little extra watt usage. If any. Maybe less. 4 x 12 watts is 48 watts. Anyone know how many watts the two halogen fog lights pull?

I found these leds on the net. Powerful, short, focused, 12w and 12v.
    Different mounts. Cheap. $30 for two. Only problem they have 3 settings.
    Strobe, low and high.

Anyone added extra lights?
    Point me to a thread?

Maybe I should turn it into a project :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iPad ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a lot of people here replace their existing headlights with more powerful ones. i can't point you to a thread because there are so many and it's personal preference. try a search, i'm sure you will be overwhelmed with the volume. (hopefully will help you see the light:cool:)

i can testify to the 60 y.o. eyes.:cool:

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When you search,
    Try Google search Priuschat Head lamps modifcations?
    Somthing like that.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's a link in my signature below my post (H9 headlight conversion) where you replace your 55w lowbeam halogen bulbs with 65w halogen bulbs for a significant improvement in light output with minor modification of the H9 bulb base.

SCH-I535

5. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the pointers.
    I have now looked at many nice posts.
    The amount of information and willingness to share and help in here is great.
    Still, most posts are about retrofitting or upgrading existing light, not adding more units.

I read your headlight conversion post, xliderider. Thank you. It looks like you got a lot more light. Interesting to see that the fog lights pull as much as 55 watts each (or 65w with the H9).

This means I can add 4 of the above mentioned led lights (48w total) and use half the power and maybe get twice the amount of light. I can even add 6. 2 in the old fog light sockets and 4 behind the grill (if there is room) and still only pull 72w.

I have no doubt these led lights are powerfull.
    I added a similar light on my offroad bike with a 10A battery for long runs.
    At one point I actually thought it maybe was a bit too much :)

iPad ?

6. BMWtoPrius

BMWtoPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The best thing you can do to upgrade your headlights is to do a full projector replacement/retrofit and put HID into that retrofit.
    I'll be doing the RX350 retrofit because we carry them and it's supposed to completely plug and play into our headlights. If you are interested PM me I can keep you up to date on my progress and results.

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Best thing to do? Don't drive in the dark!:D
    The only problem is, I'm always in the dark! :unsure:

8. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The retrofit is good if you want to spend that much. I have had a great deal of satisfaction from simply fitting a set of HID H11 bulbs and ballasts to the standard Prius headlight projectors. 160,000+ Kms and still working well. High beam is more of a problem but I fitted 4" HID spotlights to the front spoiler with no loss of fuel efficiency. This area is well into the "dead" area around the grill where minimal extra drag is created. I had to cut away a small section of grill to enable the lights to sit back enough.

IMG_1500.JPG IMG_1494.JPG

Palulf likes this.
  9. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes change out your bulbs, go with the hid bulbs and ballast, I also added fog lights, again hid bulbs and ballast for them too

10. BMWtoPrius

BMWtoPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The projectors inside the Koito headlights are average at best and produce an uneven "hot-spotted" pattern. It's a good interim solution but for maximum light output, it's well worth the $150 + whatever labor time it takes to install the higher quality RX350 projectors. In fact, it's probably even a good idea to retrofit a mini projector for the high beam as well while you're at it.

With Fogs, there is only so much light they put out, not saying it's a bad idea, but they are limited. There are little mini projectors you can put there that will significantly improve your visibility...
    Or you can really get creative and install an LED Light bar;)

Palulf likes this.
  11. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi and thank you all for the insight :D

My initial thought was just to add some extra led lights to the grill for those, out of the city fall/winter drives, but now you got me thinking about replacing the bulbs. Norway has 4 true seasons. Light in the summer and dark in the winter.

lights.jpg

I see HIDs add a lot more light and use the same amount of energy as a regular halogen bulb if I am not mistaken. About 55 watt.

Then I read this on wiki: Fuel economy in automobiles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the FTP 75 cycle test, a 200 watt load on the alternator reduces fuel efficiency by 1.7 MPG.[38] Headlights, for example, consume 110 watts on low and up to 240 watts on high. These electrical loads can cause much of the discrepancy between real world and EPA tests, which only include the electrical loads required to run the engine and basic climate control.

Fuel-efficiency decreases from electrical loads are most pronounced at lower speeds because most electrical loads are constant while engine load increases with speed. So at a lower speed a higher proportion of engine horsepower is used by electrical loads. Hybrid cars see the greatest effect on fuel-efficiency from electrical loads because of this proportional effect.

In Norway daylight driving lights have been mandatory since 1988 (11 other European counties also have this). And since we are all interested in saving some gass, I figure if I am adding more light sources I should also try to reduce the power usage if possible.

So I found this LED headlight conversion kit on the net and the reviews looks ok. $180.
    They are also easier to install (small, less wiring, instant on) than HIDs they say and only 28 watt per H11 bulb.
    LED Headlight H11 Conversion Kit: 2,200 Lumen Bulbs - GTR Lighting

50 watts to spare is nice, I think.

Anyone tried these LED conversion kits?
    Rubbish compared to HIDs?

I apologize if I break any advertising rules. I do not work for this company.
    lights2.jpg

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The light pattern from those are poor because they are far from point light sources like the halogen filament or an arc from the HID bulb.

There are 35w HID systems as well that claim about 3x the light output compared to a halogen system. For best visibility, use 4300k HID.

For the $180 you're willing to spend, you can get a good quality HID system.

SCH-I535

13. Palulf

Palulf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, they do claim to have a better filament due to their reflector...

gtrled-comparison.jpg

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Believe what you want. By all means, you're welcome to try those LEDs out.

Please post your results back on this thread. Thanks.

15. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try Sirius LED - H8/H11 these are definitely plug and play with 2000 lumens (halogen is abour 1400). I'm using them in my Fogs. Great light output, but not as good as HID which are 3400 lumens approx.

16. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also, for what it's worth, check with local vehicle laws. I can't speak for Norway, but in some states here, you can only have so many light sources on at one time, so adding a bunch of fog lights might not be a wise option.

If you haven't already upgraded to HID, give it a shot.

17. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I installed those into my fog light housings. Very pleased with the result. Not only do these appear to match the hid 4300k h11 in my projector low beams, but they bath the road in front with a very white light.

The visibility of my car to oncoming traffic is enhanced, but there is not an issue of glare to them as would likely be the case if I put hid's into the fog housing.

As has been mentioned to you by others here, the Toyota fog lamp housing does not do a wonderful job of focus with any type of bulb, and you could do better if you were to install projector housings down there and enjoy a more efficient beam pattern and distance.

For greater visibility in rain and snow, I've installed amber halogen bulbs into my high beam positions, which also serve as daytime running lights in Canadian cars, at reduced voltage and brightness during the daylight. The 2500k really gets the light down the road.

I tested the LED lamps in the application, and they work fine at the lower voltage as DRL's, and I know that they would do well in those high beam reflectors.... just that even using the 4300k LED's as I did in the fog lights, not sure that they would work as well in poor weather.

If I get tired of the short life of the amber halogen bulbs, then I may change to LED's in the high beams as well.... maybe the same kit as you linked and I installed into my fogs, or the newer bulbs that have the circuitry built in such that there is no fan and no external igniter. they don't have the small reflectors on the actual cree chip to focus light better on the reflector though, so might stick with the kit you linked above.

Nota bene.... I bought mine from Amazon and paid $100 less..... check it out.

Roland

Palulf likes this.
  18. BMWtoPrius

BMWtoPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My .02, this is better, I'll be testing this tomorrow:
    [​IMG]
    I expect 3400LM out of this and that is on par with an HID but should be much much much cleaner light.

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prepare to be disappointed.

SCH-I535

20. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius