1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

More Questions about the computer

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by wayupnorth, Apr 20, 2008.

1. wayupnorth

wayupnorth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have asked a few questions about MPG so far. Just a few more.

The car I have (2008 bought in December 07) is telling me I am getting 33.3 MPG.

So this weekend I took a drive. Apx 50 miles or so. The Consumtion screen shows that I have constantly been getting 50 mpg over at least 30 min at a time but the car computer says I am getting 33.5 mpg Is this normal?

Every other owner in my area is getting 46 or better.

I have also been told it is not broke in yet. (only 3900 miles now)

But every one in person I have talked to said they have been getting 40 plus since they bought it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The mileage computer is quite accurate, with most people finding it a touch optimistic (maybe a percent or two). Keep in mind that the average mileage is the average from the last time you reset it. Most people drive off the lot with a poor average. Make sure you reset yours if you want to see tank to tank averages, trip averages, or anything other than the total accumulated mileage.

As for improving your mileage, there are many excellent threads on this forum devoted to just that. Spend a little time reading and it will help.

Tom

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that you haven't reset the MPG display since you purchased the car. This means that it is displaying the lifetime average.

Prior to this weekend:

3850 miles / 33.3 MPG = 115.62 gallons of gasoline used since purchase.

After this weekend:

50 miles at 55 mpg this weekend = 0.91 gallons of gasoline

3850 + 50 = 3900 total miles

115.62 gallons + 0.91 gallons = 116.53 total gallons

3900 miles / 116.53 gallons = 33.47 MPG (rounds up to 33.5 MPG)

So yes, If your lifetime average was 33.3 MPG and you drove this weekend at 55 MPG for approx 50 miles, then you should expect your lifetime average to display 33.5 MPG.

I use reset everytime I fill my tank so I know what my tank average is instead of my lifetime average. Then I enter the tank information into a spreadsheet (and into greenhybrid.com) to keep track of my lifetime average.

4. wayupnorth

wayupnorth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh...okay. I asumed that since it resets the miles driven that it reset automaticaly! I will restet when I hop in the car today!
    Thanks,
    ~tod