1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Austin Middleton, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Austin Middleton

Austin Middleton New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there, I'm new, so if this is in the wrong place, I sincerely apologize.

I have a 2007 Toyota Prius with 82k miles, and I love it. However, my fiance gets very motion sick whilst driving it.
    Has anybody else experienced this? Any idea what is causing this?

I'm absolutely willing to trade it in, but because that would cost me about four thousand dollars, I would like to find a remedy for her if at all possible

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Austin - I am a motion sick sensitive person, and I have never experienced this at all.
    I am thinking older cars (when I was a kid in the 50s and 60's) if there was exhaust leakage or fumes in the car, then that would tend to make motion sickness worse. Today exhaust is 100x cleaner with the catalytic muffler. However, you might want to verify exhaust system is functioning properly and maybe put CO detector in vehicle (the ones I have just sit on a desk I could easily take it in the car if I wanted to).

PS- Go Dramamine!

3. Austin Middleton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She gets motion sick really easily. I will try the CO option, but I can't shake the feeling that it's coming from the queues in the car (ie. non-linear acceleration, odd windows, position of the front seats right over the wheels).
    She also get even more sick from motion sick medicine, so that's not an option either.

Any other ideas?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Provide air ventilation. Adequate air ventilation might help prevent car sickness. Try to keep the air clear of any strong odors, too.

According to Wikipedia, motion sickness is theorized to be the body's autonomic response to toxins, whereas motion fakes out the brain in this regard.

I prefer regular Dramamine but that makes you drowsy. I have also used the Trans-derm scop (scopolomine) skin patches on long airlines flights.

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there anything in the ride quality that may be provoking it? Would new shock absorbers and struts (leading to a firmer, better controlled ride) help?

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With an inherited susceptibility to motion sickness, I have started getting sick in the driver's seat in previous cars when trying to make fast time on winding roads. It hasn't happened in my (Gen3) Prius, probably because I haven't tried to push it that far.

If her susceptibility has any similarity to mine, make sure the climate control is set for adequate fresh air ventilation (mine is never turned off, unless passing through a cloud of smoke or heavy dust), and that she is adequately hydrated and fed. I frequently get motion sickness from ordinary alpine skiing in poor visibility. Lots of fluid, some more food, and Bonine (competitor to Dramamine) usually resolve it.

7. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just for comparison. What car did you previously drive that did NOT make her motion sickness present itself?

8. Austin Middleton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    She does fine in her sister's 2006 Impala, and a 2004 Chevy Cavalier.

The Cavalier, especially has me guessing if it's the acceleration that makes her motion sick.

Could smells, such as cleaning products contribute to her motion sickness without her realizing it?

9. Eclipse1701d

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have suffered from motion sickness my entire life. The biggest improvement for me was getting lasik ten years ago. Once my vision was fixed and I no longer needed a strong prescription, I experienced an improvement of about 85%.

It started with lazy eye. Operated on twice. Fixed at 12 years old. However, the fix is cosmetic and how your brain processes images has a lot to do with it. The longer the condition goes without being fixed, the worse it is when you are older. I'm not saying this is what causes her problem, but people with the same history have experienced the same thing as me...

However, yes, smells do contribute to the condition. So does hard braking and acceleration. If you drive smoothly and brake smoothly, it shouldn't bother her. Cool air, toward the face helps as well. Sitting with the seat closer to the glove box will also help...

Also, if she is that sensitive, don't Hypermile or Pulse & Glide with her in the car. She WILL feel it and not like it.

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Time for a new fiance :D

KK6PD, ewxlt66 and Eclipse1701d like this.
  11. ThNaz

ThNaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I would take her to test drive a Prius C and see if this car still produces the same effect...if so I am not sure what to suggest next...I find my Prius C to be both fun to drive and also the feeling from the drivers seat is a bit more like a traditional car. I tested a Gen III and it did feel as though it was something I would have to get acustom to.

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a personal health problem not a car problem... First and foremost, see a doctor... Then add some padding to the seat and get healthy by increasing the body's circulation with regular cardio. Too often health problems like these revolve around too much lethargy and stagnation in the body and if ignored for too long these symptoms can compound with other symptoms and ultimately kill you.

The more the person exercises the more these kinds of symptoms diminish. For example jogging: when someone jogs for the first time in years the muscles and tissue that hold all your organs in place aren't ready for it and they get bounced all around and the new runner experiences something very similar to motion sickness. But after a few runs the body adapts and nausea diminishes. And of course a ride in a car is gonna be way easier to handle once your body is more used to all that bouncing.

13. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My wife will get a little motion sick if she isn't keeping an eye out the window. Like trying to read a book or something. And this has occurred in at least 5 different vehicles. I have Meniere's Disease due to hearing loss and will get very uncomfortable vertigo-like symptoms when working in an enclosed space like beneath an automobile. It can get really bad after recovering from a head cold, sort of like your vertical hold coming loose and your visual environment starts to roll. Usually followed by projectile reverse peristalsis. Never had motion sickness though.

14. Austin Middleton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. Do you think it's plausible that she just struggles when she drives it because the throttle is progressive rather than linear, and the engine sound doesn't accompany acceleration consistently?

I'm wondering if she would be okay just riding in the passenger seat. She has driven every time we've taken that car.

P.S. We don't drive much together because we live a thousand miles apart. But, in six weeks, I would like to be sure my car is okay for her.

15. Eclipse1701d

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm at a loss. Most people with motion sickness are not affected when they drive because they are in control and anticipate the movement of the vehicle.

Maybe an anti-sway bar and an under carriage box stiffener would tighten up the suspension and make the ride harsher and tighter. Other than that, I have nothing further to offer on this...

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While P&G may be bad for motion sickness, many other Hypermiling items will be beneficial.
    That doesn't bother me at all, but I can imagine how it might get someone else. Does she have an aggressive or spirited driving style, or soft and gentle grandparent style, or something in between?
    If she has only driven it, never ridden as a passenger, then we have no clues to separate her driver reactions from everything else (e.g. ventilation, cleaning products, peripheral vision interfrence from sunroof, etc.) More experimentation is needed.

While motion sickness susceptibility is greatly reduced in the driver's seat, it is still possible for some of us. Trust me. :sick:

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...at your own risk:
    is has been scientifically proven that those susceptible to motion sickness make the best lovers! ;)

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If she gets motionsick while *driving* the Prius then she shouldn't drive it. If she gets sick while your passenger, then *she* should drive.

19. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Dear PriusChat, I cut my wrist badly while trying to change the headlight, and now I'm bleeding all over the place. Starting to feel faint. It's an '08 Gen II with 100k miles. My battery voltage is 11.8V. What should I do?"

PriusCamper likes this.
  20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another poster already and very wisely mentioned this, but it bears repeating.
    You need to ensure that this is not an environmental or a health problem.
    No....not that kind of environmental problem. The interior of the car.
    We need to determine if there's a hidden problem that's triggering the motion sickness symptoms. This might be seating position, cleaning products, an undetected leak. Some people have had concerns about EMI. I
    personally discount this as a possibility, but there are George Noory types out there that have reported symptoms....real and imagined.
    There's also your intended's health to consider. Does she spend a lot of time in the car? Are the exhibited symptoms really motion sickness?
    Depending on your respective ages and relationship it could be many MANY things ranging from a cardiovascular issue to morning sickness.
    I'm a hard sell on the fact that Priuses induce motion sickness. I have nine Sea Service Deployment ribbons and so I do have some familiarity with the phenom, although I myself haven't been experienced motion sickness.....YET!
    (You always say "yet"....GOD has an interesting sense of humor when people say the word "never"! ;) )
    Despite meager visibility Priuses have a lot of glass.
    You're not going to be able to roll over a dime and be able to tell whether it's heads or tails....and although there is a lot of body roll for a car in it's class, you're not going to log 20-degree pitch and rolls during normal driving.
    In a word......vanilla, but vanilla is a flavor.
    You do get SOME feedback from the car.

You didn't disclose your location, but statistics and your posts indicate a US location (with apologies to readers abroad.)
    Healthcare is still widely available in the US, and if you can afford to drive a Prius, you can afford a few tests at a doctor's office, and besides.....you're engaged so you probably still like her a lot.
    CLOSE THE LOOP on the motion sickness thing!
    Make sure that she does not have an undisclosed health issue, and that the car (not the car type) isn't inducing motion sickness symptoms from something in THIS specific car.

If nothing else works?
    Here's a possible solution.
    Rent a G3 (2010-) for a weekend. If she's symptom free?
    Trade up.

PS. Some G2 drivers won't like the "trade-up" appellation to this transaction. Although I do take sinful joy from their discomfiture, I really intended no insult (this time!) ;)