1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mountain Bike Inside my prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by blur510, Aug 18, 2011.

1. blur510

blur510 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know if I can fit a medium 29er mountain bike inside my prius? I am thinking of picking one up (buying used on craigslist) Thanks hopefully someone can help.

2. yunebug

yunebug Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was able to fit my mountain bike in my 2nd ten when I bought it. You should have no problem. It WAS a tight fit - make sure to put the rear wheel in first. Manipulate the handlebars / front tires just right and you should be able to JUUUUST put the hatch down gently. Then press down to lock.

Click. Good to go. :0)

3. yunebug

yunebug Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    *accidentally double posted sorry* <:0)

4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A 26" fit without a problem. Worse case you take front wheel off, I think it will fit just fine. I always have some bungee in my cars for a worse-case like you need to keep the trunk up, though (but you won't for this).

5. unc69

unc69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As mentioned, taking the front wheel off might make it easier. Also, with an allen wrench you can loosen one bolt and turn the handlebars 90 degrees so they line up with the bike frame - and usually that same allen wrench will allow you to lower the seat. Those two adjustments take less than a minute and will allow you to put a bike in a smaller confined space. I make sure the side of the bike with the chain, and derailuers, is on the side that's up so grease/oil does not get on the car and while the bike is on it's side it does not bend or affect any of that gearing.

6. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Shouldn't be an issue. I was able to fit my full size 60cm road bike in without issue. Check youtube and you'll find some videos of people putting in all sorts of bikes in their Prius. I would just recommend laying down a blanket first.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, a mountain bike can easily fit inside since the handle is short. I got my wife an Electra Townie and it would not fit unless I take out the front wheel. The handle is long for being a comfort / cruiser bike.

So I bought Saris Guardian 2 rack to carry both in the back. It works well with the Prius. I can still lift up the hatch with the rack installed (of course without the bikes mounted).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. BlizzP10

BlizzP10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nothing like TOTALLY obscuring the view out the rear window!!!

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    True but I only use it to go to nearby parks.

10. blur510

blur510 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for all the replies!!

11. Scotty Danger

Scotty Danger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I do it all the time - see attached pic. I do have to take the front wheel off though.

I love that I can also sneak my surfboard in. I usually go riding mid afternoon and then hop in the ocean until sunset.

I love spending my hard earned money on fun things likes mountain bikes and surfboards instead of throwing away money on oil and never-ending maintenance. What a concept :D

Attached Files:

12. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is awesome in plan and execution.

Quick bike story about how it's best to fit your bike inside the car if at all possible:

One of my co-workers became blind over the years but he and his wife don't let it stop their enjoyment of the outdoors. They continue to hike, cross-country ski, and bike together. (As an aside, his day job is performance optimization of other folks database queries. He uses voice software, a few other self-made software tools, and an awesome memory. I don't know if I could do it that way.)

Anyway, they use a tandem bicycle which they mount atop their Chevy. Her jobs are to drive the car and the bike. His jobs are to load / unload the bike and provide propulsion on the bike. (Ala the ICE on the Prius.) One day they came home from a ride and stopped in the driveway. When he got out of the car, they were distracted by something, a process breakdown ensued, and she attempted to park the car in the garage with the bike still on top. There was significant (but repairable) damage to the bike, bike rack, car roof, and garage.

13. eltee

eltee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I picked up a trek 'gary fischer' 29'er special and it *JUST* barely fit in my gen3 with the rear seats down on the drive home. (i do recommend if you are thinking of going internal vs external getting a drop sheet or two from a hardware store so you don't dirt/oil/grease up the bed.

More recently I've managed to actually fit two 29'ers in, on top of each other with an extra drop cloth between to prevent scrapes etc, but in that case both had to have the front wheels dropped first.

If you are considering getting a bike and are thinking of internal vs external transport I would reccomend going the extra mile (or $100ish) and getting one with a disc brake, that makes dropping the front tire a 5 second affair vs 5 minute, and never have to worry about getting the brake mis-aligned over time doing it.