1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mountain bike inside Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wjtan, Jan 15, 2007.

1. wjtan

wjtan New Member

Dear folks,

I don't currently own a Prius, but purchasing one's been on my mind for some time. I have read up about the fuel economy and other advantages of owning one but now would like to address other (much more mundane) aspects of ownership.

Are there any MTB riders in this forum? I'm interested to know if it's possible to put 2 bikes inside the Prius. (rear seats folded and bikes layed flat) I'm not really enthused about putting the bikes on top using the optional roof rack.

Also, here's another supremely mundane question.... I like the Prius in black. Any arguments against that color? :)

Thanks in advance for your replies and warmest regards.

_______
    peace

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup, you can fit two bikes back there if you have the seats down. The less you like the paint job on the bikes, the easier it is. :)

As for black... nothing wrong with the color, just something wrong with you for liking it. :eek: I'd just hate to keep it clean, and I wouldn't be able to touch the car during daylight hours for about five months out of the year. Silver or white for me every time.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and welcome to PriusChat!

I would show you a picture but I can't seem to get the website going so I'll simply give you the URL and you can browse it at your leisure.

Go here: http://john1701a.com/

and go to page 58 of the photo album for a picture of a mountain bike inside the Prius.

Also, black is sleek but I don't know how it'll do under S'pore weather. The others owners seem to have taken the lighter colours like silver.

Lastly, I'm assuming you're talking about the current generation that's recently released in S'pore right?

Ariel1000 likes this.
  4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    welcome!

we've put 2 trail bikes in the back, seats down and blanket to keep the mud from getting on the interior ;)

i think black is a fantastic color!! just prepare to spend an inordinate amount of time keeping it clean.

Ariel1000 likes this.
  5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Black is great! It does have all of the usual drawbacks of black: shows dirt and scratches, dust, finger prints, microscopic spores, and larger viruses. This is my first black car, and I have washed it more than any other that I've owned, but the Prius looks fantastic in black. It really sets off the lights and chrome.

You see more Prius in silver because Toyota built more Prius in silver. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy: marketing found that silver was the most popular car color, so Toyota made more silver Prius than any other color, and since they all sell, we have more silver Prius on the road, which proves it's the most popular color. The Prius was so hard to get, people took whatever color they could.

Tom

6. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 15 2007, 06:55 AM) [snapback]375777[/snapback]</div>
    We bought an 07 Barcelona Red because it was the only one on the lot at the time, but my wife's favorite color is also red. And I was thinking to paint my 1991 Civic Wagon red too, so red was cool with us. We would have preferred silver, but there are just so many silver Prii on the road, I'm glad we got red. Plus it's nice to have a red car here in the dark and gloomy Pacific Northwest!

7. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One of my criteria before purchasing the Prius was that I had to be able to fit my mountain bike inside -- it's a size small Cannondale F400 and when I fold down the back seats and throw down a drop cloth to protect the interior, all I have to do is release the quick-release on the front wheel and it's in there with room to spare. I'm quite sure you could get larger sizes in there without a dirty bike ever touching the insides of the doors or hatch sides. I haven't tried putting two bikes in yet, but I'm sure it would work; in my case, I'd probably chose to throw down a second drop cloth on top of the first bike to minimize the rubbing of one frame against another.

The best part is blasting down the highway en route to the trailhead without having to worry anymore about whether a trunk-mounted rack was going to "eject" my bike off the back *and* also knowing that with everything inside the car, I'm not cutting down on my gas mileage at all.

Ariel1000 likes this.
  8. wjtan

wjtan New Member

Thanks for the replies.

" without having to worry anymore about whether a trunk-mounted rack was going to "eject" my bike off the back "

My thoughts exactly! It's also quite a hassle to rig up the rack and bikes securely. It's feasible for me to own just one car, which means it has to do duty on multiple fronts. The reason I had to pose such a mundane question is that there isn't a Prius on the showroom floor for me to verify. They are quite scarce here and the low demand means the dealer (just one) can't justify putting one on the floor for display.

Darel you asked:
    "...I'm assuming you're talking about the current generation that's recently released in S'pore right?"

That would be correct. The current 40% tax concessions are due for review end 2007, with currently no hint as to which way they might go. So decision time's this year in a few months. The price of a Prius gets me a Camry here, so it'll be a tough one. As you can tell, fuel economy is only one of a number of considerations for me when owning only one car. I'm glad Toyota recognises that and has made the Prius versatile. It can geniunely be marketed as more than just a green machine.

John, it's totally obvious that you're in love with your car! It is a lovely car. Thanks for sharing the photos. You do have a beautiful countryside. All the more reason to drive an ecofriendly car.

As for the comments on the black colour, yup, I totally agree with the comments about it being too hot to touch. I currently own a black Opel Meriva (not sold in USA, but if it did ever get there, it'll probably be a Saturn something-or-other.) and black tends to absorb more heat. What with our year round summers here, I guess some other colour would have to suffice.

Once again, thanks to all for reading and responding. :)

Regards.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I prefer to ride the bike and leave the car home, but yes, two will fit inside nicely. First I lay down a big plastic tarp on the bottom, and load the first bike, sans front wheel. Then I put in a layer of cardboard, but strategically placed soft luggage, or even carpet remnants, also works to keep the bikes from rubbing. The second bike goes on top very carefully, checking to make sure nothing's going to scrape or slide or scratch. Whatever you do, do NOT leave the front wheels on the curb! :blink:

10. iiwi

iiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mookieconster @ Jan 14 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]375733[/snapback]</div>
    When I went to the dealer for service, I put one mountain bike in the back. I put the seat down with a blanket on the bottom. With one bike I didn't even have to take off any of the wheels.

11. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mookieconster @ Jan 14 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]375733[/snapback]</div>
    Two MTB bikes with front wheels off, easy. There is a "towing hitch" which I'm planning on getting for bike rack only.

Black will be extremely hot in the summer and you may find yourself using A/C more.

Try to get the car in the color of your local dirt, then you need not wash it as much ;)

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 15 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]376124[/snapback]</div>
    Well said! And excellent point. I too ride primarily to avoid vehicle miles whenever possible. But that's typically my road bike. The mountain bike is purely for fun. And while I don't usually drive it somewhere just to ride, I do take it with me in the car when I'm visiting somewhere good to ride. And in those cases, it can't go inside the car, as I have the family and our gear. So up on top it goes, or on the hitch-mounted rack. Need to get some pictures of that eventually....

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mookieconster @ Jan 15 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]376116[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I asked that lol.

Anyway, other Prius owners have been getting pretty good mileage in S'pore and that's with the last generation model. I cannot wait to see what the new generation gets in S'pore weather/traffic.

14. wjtan

wjtan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 16 2007, 03:10 AM) [snapback]376171[/snapback]</div>
    Apologies to both parties. But I claim newbie immunity status... -_-

If I do get the current version, I'll be sure to report on the mileage we get here in the tropics. One thing to note though, is that airconditioning is turned on 100% of the time, all year round. I would think that that's a major source of consumption. I wonder why no manufacturer offers solar cells integrated into the roof to power airconditioners. It just seems like a perfect match. Strong sunlight = higher current = cooler interior. OK, OK there must be a dozen reasons for not doing that, but it seems so ideal...

About keeping a black car clean? I'll just leave it out in the next tropical shower! Just had a thought... anyone think that the Prius would look great in a matte finish?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 15 2007)</div>
    lol! I'll have to write that down somewhere.
    One thing I do like about the Prius is the hatch style trunk. That should make it somewhat easier to manoeuvre a pair of bikes into place. Much easier than a sedan or even an estate/stationwagon.

Thanks all.

15. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

For any roadies out there, one big-wheel road bike fits fine with the front wheel off, too. Roadbike wheels tend to make small-car stuffing much harder so I figured I'd add my slightly off-topic two cents. I'm sure blanket-bike-blanket-bike would work with these bikes, also. It really is amazing how much room is in that little car!

Black looks great. It's too hot it's hard to clean blah blah blah who cares? My experience is if you don't get the color you want, you always regret it. Have you looked at Silver Pine Mica? Oh, sorry, that's the color I wanted! :)

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mookieconster @ Jan 16 2007, 06:38 AM) [snapback]376219[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know. With the old Prius, the engine runs when the A/C runs if left at MAX A/C. If A/C is selected, then the engine shuts down (and so does the A/C) when you're running in EV. So, I presume the other Singaporean owners are running with the windows down or something.

With the new Prius, the A/C runs off the HV battery so you still get A/C even with the engine off. Of course, the battery will eventually run down and the engine will have to come on to recharge it.

The other Singaporean owners are getting high 3.xL/100km so I can imagine the new one will do better. I can barely get 3.7L/100km unless I go to school and back during the summer and nothing else. Once I go anywhere else, I'll get bumped to 4.xL/100km

17. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I regularly carry a 52 cm frame, carbon fiber Trek road bike in the rear of the Prius. Rear seat folds down and bicycle carries very nice. Front wheel stays on bike. Room to spare for helmet, shoes, air pump and clothing.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jan 16 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]376517[/snapback]</div>
    :eek: nice!!

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This thread needs pictures!

Went on a FANTASTIC ride with a buddy yesterday (a rare one where I actually drive my bike somewhere specifically to ride). And remembered to take pictures! The only bad news is that my pretty bike is on the bottom onder a towel, while his ugly bike is on top. ;)

Two 19" fat-tire bikes, front wheels removed (and not left at the curb!). A third bike would very easily fit in here. The two bikes used about half the eight of the cargo area. The front seats are all the way back on the rails as well. Tons of room.

[​IMG]

20. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dude;
    buy a hitch and get a good bike rack that grips the tires and locks in from the top. Kinda of like the ones on the front of busses. Your interior and bikes will thank you.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profil...ategory_ID=4411

I got my hitch from U-Haul. I had to adjust the exhaust pipe because the hitch rediredicted the exhaust onto some bodywork but it's all goiod now. Also the U-haul hitch doesn't seem to have the flex problem that has been described for the Coastal tech hitch, and I have twoed a trailer with two full size sport bikes from SoCal to Vegas and back.

Ariel1000 likes this.