1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mounting License plates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gogreen, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Gogreen

Gogreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a quick question about mouting the front and rear license plates.
    For the front I have the plastic frame and 2 nuts that came with the car. Now, do I have to drill on the front bumper so that screws go in? The two screws that came with the frame, are they to attach the license plate to the frame or the frame to the bumper? If I have to drill on the bumper, I probably should get it done at a mechanic or body shop?
    For the rear lincense plate I believe I need 6mm diameter screws of length 10-30 mm?

Thanks in advance.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your dealer really should have done that for you and still should if the car is new. But yes, you need to drill the front to attach the bracket there. I'm not sure about the rear question.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gogreen_prius @ Oct 15 2007, 08:22 AM) [snapback]525790[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Gogreen,

Front:

When you say "frame" are you talking about the thin rectangular plastic frame that usually has the dealer's name and phone number on it? If so, then you just screw it and the license plate into the top two screw holes in the front license plate mount (the approximately 0.5 - 1.0 inch thick plastic mount that matches the curve of the front bumper and that gets screwed into the front bumper), which should have already been screwed into the front bumper by the dealer.

If by "frame" you are referring to the front license plate mount, then you should have that mount installed by the dealer, or your mechanic/body shop (unless you know how to do it yourself ... I don't).

Front & Rear:

Yes, the nut or thread holes for both the rear and front mount are for screws that are 6 mm in diameter. The length of the screws required varies from 10 mm to 30 mm, depending on whether you will be using a license plate frame, how thick the frame is at the point of the screw holes, and whether you will be attaching anything else through those screw holes (e.g., in the front, I have attached these small, round, spool-like rubber bumpers from NoBump.com/GirlsLoveWheels.com; other people have attached bumpers they made themselves out of rubber leg tips or rubber door stops). You can get these metric sized screws from a good hardware store (45 to 60 cents each). Screws made out of stainless steel would be preferred, but they can be hard to find in the diameter and length you may need.

Hope this helps. Congrats.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you look closely on the front bumpercover you can see two indents where the screws go to fasten the plate support. Mine are still visible because we don't have to use the front plate.

5. IMD1

IMD1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am looking for the screws to hold the front plant to the mounting bracket they supplied with the car. They only give you the bolts to hold it to the front bumper. Wth!

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They should have been in the bag with the front plate bracket. Mine were...

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you either ask your dealer for this hardware, or else bring the mounting bracket to your local hardware store and find the correct metric-size bolts that will work with the bracket.

8. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I measured my 2004 Prius front license plate screw by taking a picture of it (attached). I measured it at 6mm thread outside diameter, 1mm thread pitch, 15mm long. In other words M6-1x15. Wikipedia says that 1mm is the normal pitch for 6mm screws, so I think this can also be written as M6x15. This is a zinc coated pan head screw.

I bought some cane-tip type bumpers, but I found the factory screws were not long enough to secure them, because the ~1/4" thickness of the rubber base plus washer required a longer screw.

Therefore I'm going to get some M6x20 (or perhaps even M6x25) screws to attach the bumpers.

Attached Files:

9. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Just wanted to note that the M6x20 screws worked well for attaching the carbumper.com license plate bumpers to my 04 Prius. These bumpers are pricey but the rubber seems to be the right density/flexibility for the purpose, whereas the cane bumpers are probably too flexible for optimum protection.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, 6mm x 20mm is good for mounting the NoBump.com license plate screw bumpers. You can also use a longer length like 30mm if that's the only size you have in your tool box.

The NoBump.com screw bumpers are the best. They'll last forever.

Rubber cane tips or chair leg tips look better and can also be used. But because of their thinner walls, eventually they'll crush and deform. Because of this, I've stopped using the cane/chair leg tips and have gone back to the NoBump.com bumpers.

You can see the differences between the cane/chair leg tips and the NoBump.com bumpers from the photos below.

Front License Plate Rubber Screw Hole Bumpers - Left to Right: 7/8" Chair Leg Tip, 3/4" Chair Leg Tip, 5/8" Chair Leg Tip, and NoBump.com Front License Plate Rubber Screw Hole Bumper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. simone060

simone060 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It looks like i have those 'dimples' and outline of a license plate on the passenger side of my rear bumper also. I bought my car used from a dealer. So you think these caused by mfg. or did someone 'tap' my car at some point and leave the impression of a license plate and top screws?