1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mouseproofing my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lola the Prius, Jul 17, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  3. Not sure.

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Lola the Prius

Lola the Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So back in April, I had paint poured all over my car. (A student clearly was not happy with me). My Prius then sat in my driveway for almost a week as I waited for the insurance adjuster to arrive. When I did finally drive the car to the dealer to have the paint removed, I noticed what I thought was a manure smell coming from the vents. It turned out to be a family of mice (living, deceased an in pieces) in there somewhere. The dealership tried to take care of it, but when I picked up my car a week later, the smell of rotting carcass was overwhelming. I brought it back and they charged me again to clear out more mice. Mind you, why they charged me when my car sat in my driveway less than an hour is beyond me. So, this time the carcass smell went away, but the smell of mouse pee persisted. Plus, I kept finding mouse poop on my cabin air filter. So finally, I placed glue traps in the cabin air filter slot. Bingo!, I finally caught the little sucker and I shot him dead. Still, however, the smell persisted. It had been 3 months by then that I had been battling the mouse problem. I lost count of how many Lysol cans I emptied into my cabin air intakes to try to neutralize it. I finally brought it to another dealer who took apart the dash and vent shafts, found the nest, plus three more dead mice, (probably my shooting victim's babies given their lack of decomposition). That, alone cost me $962 plus about $500 for the two previous failed attempts. So I saw the thread on mouse proofing the Prius. I went to do that, but noticed that there are holes along the side that are virtually inaccessible by hand and probably impossible to close off. So I got a 5/8" drill bit and drilled four holes through the metal where the VIN # is and used the already existing intakes to secure mesh fencing directly onto the intake leading nto the cabin air filter. If you have mouse proofed your Prius by covering the large intakes be aware that there are at least four more holes next to the struts that you probably can't cover and a mouse can certainly fit. I have attached pics (tried to anyway) to show where I secured my mesh. I covered the holes I drilled with silicone caulk to keep water off the exposed bare metal. Not sure how successful that will be, but my ventilation should now be rodent free. The Gorilla tape is simply covering my vin# for pic purposes.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When i went for my 25k oil change they found a nest built in my cabin filter!I guess my wife wasnt seeing things when she told me a few times that see heard and saw somthing small running around in the garage.The dealer told me to make sure you keep the cabin filter vent closed when the car is parked!so far no new nests.

1 person likes this.
  3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    stanleyjohn,

How do you close the cabin filter vent?

4. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, i wanna know too,,,,how do you close the cabin filter vent?????

5. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Its the fresh air vent which sends air to the cabin filter then into the car.I was told keeping this closed will prevent a rodent from getting to the filter.Choose climate on the display and press the car symbol with the air circulation inside the car!this will close the vent.Not sure if on your prius but you can do the same from the steering wheel button.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh, choose the air recirculation mode. That makes sense to me. Thanks.

7. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thumbs up. i thought it was more mechanical than this.

8. timtim2008

timtim2008 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    put extra screens up also.... you can get them for cheap at DIY stores (homedepot/lowes) couple of bucks. i had the same problem on another car of mine a few years ago