1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MouseProofing the Prius

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by ebsmythe, Jul 16, 2008.

1. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since finding evidence of mice in my glove compartment and also in the utility box under the hatch floor, I resolved to do my best to close all entrances, not only those to the air intake system, but also to the hatch area. There have been good posts on this site for most of the work and I used all this info to take things apart. Nowhere did I find a complete run down of everything in one place so I took some pictures as I worked this morning to record the process. The entire job pictured here took about 3 hours because it was my first time. My wife's Prius is next and I expect it will take me about 2 1/2 hours now that I am more familiar with taking things apart.

I started with the hatch area where Patrick Wong had shown us that there are two openings which allow air to leave the car fast when you close the hatch.
    There are rubber flappers in the plastic frames of each hole which would be nothing for a mouse nose-push.

To access these holes the floor and side trim panels need to be moved.
    Here is what my hatch area looked like when I peeled the side panels back.
    IMG_3124.JPG It looks awful doesn't it?
    What you will see is one opening behind the 12V battery on the passenger side which looks like this IMG_3118.JPG To obtain access to this opening it is necessary to remove the section of black plastic vent next to the battery. It is attached by two bolts and is not hard to remove. Once the black frame can be freely accessed, a screen was measured and bent to suit. The black flapper valves are in a plastic frame as you can see and are not straight but rather curved in a way which makes it more difficult to screen. I used 1/4" galvanized mesh and cut the shapes with tin snips. Here is the screen for the passenger side near the battery before it was installed IMG_3120.JPG Mine looked like this IMG_3121.JPG after it was installed with self tapping metal screws. When the vent piece was bolted back in position the screen can be seen peeking out above and behind the vent like this IMG_3123.JPG

On the driver's side there is no vent and the frame is larger and oriented horizontally like this IMG_3119.JPG The frame is also irregular but a box-like frame was measured like this IMG_3125.JPG and installed like this IMG_3126.JPG

Once the hatch area was put back together I moved to the front cowl area to tackle the many holes under the top grille and behind the water collection trough. I used an excellent post on "Prius heat efficiency mods" to help me (with lots of photos) to take the top cowl screen off, then remove the wiper assembly. After that was done the holes were all in the open and looked like this IMG_3131.JPG on the passenger's side and this IMG_3132.JPG on the driver's side. I used Ct. Ken V (thanks Ken) idea of making a cardboard template and fitting it in place before cutting the screens. They looked like this IMG_3135.JPG on the passenger's side (note the small screen on the drain hole) and like this on the driver's side. That colored mexican blanket above was covering the windshield to stop reflection from above IMG_3136.JPG

That was it once all was re-assembed.

One last thought about possible mice entrance points. This photo IMG_3130.JPG you will recognize as the passenger side quarter panel area. That black area is inside the quarter panel which is wide open to mice. It is the same on the opposite side of the car. Once they go down in there, is there a way for them to enter the behind dash area or the cabin? (Patrick Wong what say you?) I hope not or all this screening will have been a waste of time.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Mouse Proofing the Prius

Great write-up and post, ebsmythe! Thank you.

I can't speak for Patrick, but I think you have covered all the access ports, I don't thing there's a way from the front quarter-panel into the front vent system.

3. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One more screen that I had intended to install (but forgot) is to prevent mice from entering the engine air filter area. I saw a post with a picture of a screen at the air box end of the intake tube. I looked to see if the other end of the intake tube (the intake end) was accessible but I could not see much down behind the headlight and ended up not doing this screen.

Has anyone screened this mouse entrance at the intake end? How did you access this spot?

Purrius likes this.
  4. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HOLY CRAP!!, You did an amazing job and such determination to keep those pesky buggers out of your Prius :clap2::clap2::clap2: Great job!!

5. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi again, Barry,

The intake end for the engine air filter box is right out in the open right before your eyes (though not really that obvious). It's a reverse "L" shape about 6 inches to the left (passenger side) of the engine air filter box, between the junction block of the high pressure side of the air conditioner line (the metal block with the little glass inspection port) & the lens of the passenger side headlight, just forward of the windshield washer reservoir.

Also as you look at the black plastic panel that crosses the entire car between the headlights & is also (front to rear) between the grill & the HSD inverter, it's only about 1 1/2 inches from the pointed end of that panel on the passenger side. You need to remove the 6 plastic fasteners that hold that panel in place (the front edge of it slips into a groove in the top part of the grill piece) because underneath is one screw that holds the somewhat wobbley intake end piece in place.

When you fasten your screen mat'l onto that intake end piece, use star type lockwashers & SHORT screws (because long screws with that wobbley piece may eventually rub against & pierce the adjacent air condition'g high pressure line).

Thanks for your excellent post & accompany'g pictures of your job. I still have to do my rear vents & I must admit that I didn't even notice on mine those 2 little drain slots in the front that you also screened off. Mine were (& still are) covered up with some kind of debris, but remember that I only removed the 2-piece black plastic tray & the windshield wiper transmission. If I had gone one step further & removed the next panel, I might have noticed those 2 extra drain slots. Thanks again for your excellent photo documentation.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 person likes this.
  6. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The mice will win. You cannot resist the mice:p

7. traugu

traugu Rebel Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    EXCELLENT job!!! Now, if I could only come up with the confidence to undertake this adventure......:(

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations on doing a comprehensive job, and many thanks for documenting each step with your great photos!!

I'm not sure about the black area shown in your last photo. Is it possible to install more wire screening to block that hole?

Now that you have wire screening over the two rectangular cowl drain holes, they will be very easy to clog up if small leaves accumulate in that area. In that case you should hear water sloshing around as you drive.

1 person likes this.
  9. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Grrrrreeeeaaaat Job! Very thorough! I have added it to my A-List of Mods.
    Thanks for sharing your hard work.

10. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for taking the time to document and write this up.

Have you considered simply adding a Cat to the front passenger seat? :D

sydney2008 likes this.
  11. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A cat! ha ha.

Patrick,

Those quarter panel areas have me concerned. Obviously on the outside is the car fender but on the inside must be the plastic panelling, probably with some sound deadening material which the mice love.

That area would not be easy to screen off.

Maybe the only answer is to put a screen around the whole Prius!

We will see what evidence the next few weeks bring. I hope the existing screen will do the job.

In addition to the hatch and cowl screening, in an earlier post I showed that I installed a screen directly on top of the cabin air filter like this IMG_3117.jpg This screen should be a protection for the
    fan area in case the little critters somehow still get that far.

12. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Allow me to give an update on Mouseproofing the Prius.

For the last 2 months my Prius has been parked outside in Ontario's cottage country where mice abound.

Much to my pleasant surprise the screening that I installed in the hatch area and under the hood has done the trick.....NO MICE.

I still have not screened the engine air intake and intend to do it in September.

NakedMoleRat likes this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations - very nice to hear that your hard work paid off!

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not true. You can remove just the clip closest to the air intake. The panel is flexible so you can pop the clip holding the air intake just by lifting the panel a little. That one uses a flat head screw driver. Those holding the panel us a Phillips. However, all but one (toward the driver's side) can be easily popped by pressing up from underneath with your finger.

ebsmythe: Are you not concerned that PETA will come after you for denying the mice their right to a warm home? :)

15. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bruceha 2000

Never thought of that. There are Chevys, Fords and Chryslers in the same parking lot, which should give the mice lots of options for bedding down.

Maybe we car owners should also have a rival "PETA" to oppose the mice where the "A" stands for automobiles.

Do I interpret your post to mean that it is not necessary to remove the black plastic piece behind the top of the grille? Just pry it up a little to gain access to the Phillips screw?

Thanks for your advice. I will try it this week.

Barry

16. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    According to hobbit's comments that opening may indeed allow mice to get into the AC system:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ting/71909-diary-wimpy-diyer.html#post1097227

Still it is encouraging to see OP's positive experience (no mice after the nice screening) :)

17. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Persons Energetically Tormenting Angry Mice?

18. pearsonp

pearsonp New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Write up...I'm here because I just found a nest in my cabin air filter when I went to check it at 30k miles per the service sched. I AM HORRIFIED by the lack of even a token effort to blocking access. THe primary problem IMHO is the large openings left on the r & L ends of the 'upper cowl screen'. I can easily reach my hand around the end of the screen and touch the openings that are being screened....this allows leaves and other large debris direct access to the air system...not to mention rodents. HOW COULD TOYOTA HAVE MISSED THIS???

19. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We experienced the 'cat' fix but it is damed hard to get those muddy paw prints off of the upholstry and dash surfaces! Not to mention the short orange cat hairs! Will not leave the doors opened again when fetching groceries into the house. My wife collects used items that are recycled into gift baskets around Xmas time and recently when we got 'THE SMELL' :eek: our thought was that one of her firends had given her a box directly from a horse stall. Or that a mouse had stowed away in one of those boxes as we started seeing the droppings. I disassembled Prius parts stating from the rear and found droppings from there to the lower glove box that also contained pee. Looking under the hood revealed a nest of chewed insulation. So everything was cleaned up and two mouse traps set on the floor mats. One very fat & perhaps pregnant mouse was caught. So the next step is to go in behind the glove box I guess. 'Click n Clack', the car guys, suggest fresh coffee grounds to absorb the smell. I'm wondering if the engine can be steam cleaned or high pressure washed. A suggestion from desert dwelling firends w/ pack rats is to leave the hood up to bring in the light and cool air to discourage nesting and exploration. If that doesn't work I will go for the screening of openings.

20. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ebsmythe,

From Terminator to, Reviver...

Thanks for the write-up, I just completed the hatch area and will do the front Saturday.

I ended up spinning momma mouse dead with the fan last weekend. As for the four little ones, I will spare you of the details.

Lastly, for what it's worth, I drove home from work in a bad rainstorm tonight and the area below the drivers side flappers had a bit of pooled water.

Thanks again...Dano.