1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Move over and share the podium Nissan, Ford unveiled All-Electric Focus today, Plugin Hybrid coming

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As you might recall a thread a few months ago, with Ford stating that they were going to make Hybrid, Plug-In Hybrid, and All-Electric versions of the Ford Focus http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...g-in-hybrid-electric-versions-ford-focus.html ,

Ford today unveiled the All-Electric Focus:
    [​IMG]

The article is very long. I tried to pull out the good stuff:

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Move over and share the podium Nissan, Ford unveiled All-Electric Focus today, Plugin Hybrid com

Is that a focus hatch in the picture? It looks so much better than the sedan!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Move over and share the podium Nissan, Ford unveiled All-Electric Focus today, Plugin Hybrid com

Looks like it, yes. In the petrol version, the hatch has a "hidden" fuel cover door that's nicely integrated into the design of the body. The sedan has a normal round fuel cover door.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I like my wife's Fusion Hybrid.
    That Focus EV looks pretty sweet.
    I'm growing tired of waiting for a Toyota EV.

If the Prius PHV doesn't come around soon, I might have to resign my PriusChat Moderator privileges.

5. caffeinekid

caffeinekid Duct Tape Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Nothing against Ford, but IMO the Focus has been overpriced from its inception by about $4-5K. My money is on them selling only the "well equipped" package at a premium for EV that still leaves the Leaf in the #1 position for value.

[​IMG]

6. DickPhillips

DickPhillips Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

So when will it be available? I would lean toward the plug in hybrid as the model best fitting my needs. Maybe it will be time to again look at a US made car.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

in a year or so...

8. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

There is an excellent article on hybrid and electric cars in this month's MIT Technology Review.
    The Ford electric looks promising, but the batteries in all electrics are just too expensive right now for these cars to be cost competitive. They need a breakthrough in lower cost batteries.

Battery cost makes hybrids much more cost competitive than all-electrics. The best value hybrid is listed as the Prius, but the Honda Insight is even more cost competitive.

9. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I heard it will sell for about $30,000. I like it and I have relatives in the Ford business. Calling cousin Bob! I too am tired of waiting for Toyotas EV!

10. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Toyota may have evs that may be out around the same time with the Tesla partnership.

11. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I love the look of the grill!

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. :p

13. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Speaking of which, Ford just stole the thunder from the Prius v reveal:

2013 Ford C-Max Energi and C-Max Hybrid offer two options for fuel-sipping MPVs — Autoblog

Ford officially announces the C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi, essentially the conventional hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of the shorter five-door C-Max wagon that just went on sale in Europe. If Ford prices them reasonably they could be really hot sellers--and unlike the Prius v, people won't think they're driving a "geek car," whatever that means.... :rolleyes:

14. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Another article that I read quoted Ford as saying the second half of 2011.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

So almost coincidental with the launch of the new 2012 Focus (petrol) then?

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

The privileges may be revoked
    :p

Looks kinda catfish like . . . similar to the Leaf.
    The drag cd is about the same too.
    Sad thing is that it's still about TWO years out from production. That's still WAY better than GM though.