1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moving the Prius 07 if will not start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bear15, Jan 21, 2009.

1. bear15

bear15 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Moving the Prius 07 if will not start

Sometimes our Prius does not start in the morning when left out in very cold temps. Does anyone know how to move the Prius if it will not start?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You can't put it in neutral. You have to lift the front wheels off the ground (either moving it on a floor jack with wheels or putting the front wheels on dollies).

Your 12V battery is failing. Time to replace.

First check to see if -any- lights are being left on. The one in the hatch can be left on and is difficult to notice. It can be switched to door operation, off, or on all the time. Just like the overhead light. If no lights are being left on and you haven't added some kind of tracker device or aftermarket alarm then the battery is dieing. How long do you leave the car between uses? If more than a week you may want to find a way to use a "battery tender" to keep the 12V battery charged. The car can go 3-5 weeks without use with no problems but if that is how you use it all the time, and if the uses are short (less than an hour), then the battery will eventually loose charge.

Once it has gone dead it looses capacity, and it gets worse each time it goes dead.

Yes, it's unusual for a "new" battery to die so soon, but it may have gone dead on the dealers lot. Perhaps the dealer will replace it for you under warranty.

3. bear15

bear15 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You were correct. I took it in and they identified a code showing a weak 12v battery at only 8,500 miles. They promised that this should take care of the problem.

I still wish we could find a way to put the prius in neutral without the use of that small 12v battery.
    Cheers to you too. Ed

4. baboonia

baboonia New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You can "jump" a prius with a small 12v booster pack from under the hood.

With dead 12v battery, use hard key to open drivers door, mechanical hood latch to open hood. (Hopefully you are not parked in a way that the hood will not open.)

Connect positive to terminal under RED cover (see photo of my little finger). Connective negative to body (I usually use goldish color shock mounting nut above engine bay fusebox). You don't need much power, smallest jumper pack should do it since you are only running the computers etc, the traction battery still starts the ICE.

Consult your owners manual or google "Jumpstarting Prius" for detailed instructions.

-----------

Once you get the car on and in Ready mode you can lock it in neutral if you like. Manually set it to neutral (set parking brake!) then remove the relay where my big finger is pointing, the car will stay in neutral even with power disconnected. This is useful for moving car around shop etc.

[​IMG]

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There isn't a way, short of dismantling the parking pawl lever, which you don't want to do.

Tom

6. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah if it won't at least go to "on" but not "ready" mode to put it in neutral you are screwed.

7. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    baboonia - thanks for the advice. interesting. what device would you use for this? i would like to carry such a device in my car in case it wont start.

in all my new cars, i found out the batteries only lasted a few years. should i replace my battery in two years just to be safe? same with the prius?

thanks.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Gene,

Living in southern CA with moderate temps year-around, if you drive your car daily, say an hour or more each day, then you can reasonably expect your Prius battery to last a long time as long as you don't leave the hatch open so that the cabin lights are on all night.

My personal policy is to replace the 12V auxiliary battery after six years as a preventive measure. Those who live in very hot or cold climates and/or who do not log many miles will have to expect frequent battery replacements, however - every two or three years is quite possible.

If you want to invest in a portable jumpstart device, you'll just need one that can deliver ~30A peak current during Prius startup.

9. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    patrick,

thanks for your constant expertise!

gene

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You can find small "booster packs" at auto parts stores. The type you -might- want to use would have a cig. lighter plug on it to keep it charged. This way it would charge whenever the car was running. Just remember, you can't use the cig. lighter plug to charge the Prius battery. The accy. and cig. lighter plugs are off when the car is off.

The problem with these devices is they need to be kept plugged in, as they wouldn't be used for several years at a time (unless you get one with an air pump built in, in which case you'd use it once a month (you DO check your tires once a month, don't you? ;) ). So getting one with a cig. lighter plug would ensure it is kept charged. Remember they contain a lead acid battery (usually a gel cell type), so they must be kept charged to prevent the internal battery from degrading.

If you DO get one, first make sure the clips on it will fit the boost terminal (fusebox under hood - terminal with a red flip-up cover - use the bolt above the fuse box on the firewall for the -ve). Replace the +ve clip with a solid copper smaller one if the one the booster came with is too big. Be sure to also get the insulating cover for the clip. Mueller makes the clips and covers, (I use a #60C clip) and they're available in electronics parts stores or on-line.

11. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have shown this idea before, but it seems to fit in now. I keep a 12 amp hour, 12 volt sealed battery in the car. It is smaller than a regular jumper pack, which I also have a couple of, and it stores easily in the left cubby, which the big ones won't do. I touch up the charge about once a month, and plan on replacing it every two years. There are some pictures of it at: "EMERGENCY BATTERY PICTURES"

12. baboonia

baboonia New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Great idea for carrying that small (electric bicycle/alarm system?) battery as a backup in the left rear storage space.

Only hassle is when your 12v is dead you won't be able to open the rear hatch, you'll have to climb over the rear seat to get to your extra battery. A hassle, but still easier than waiting for AAA etc.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can get enough 12V to power up to IG-ON mode, you *can*
    get the car in Neutral and then pull the parking-control relay
    before powering down again, leaving the thing in neutral. See
    my training slides for which relay and other details.
    _H*