1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG Calculations

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Metalman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I understand that the computer generated MPG readings are optimistic. There are times, particularly when going downhill that I can adjust the throttle to obtain the theoretical 100 MPG. At that point I can lighten up on the throttle a bit more and move the Hybrid Systems Indicator bar graph more to the left. I wonder when running it further to the left while showing 100 MPG on the bar vertical bar graph if the computer is using better than 100 MPG in its calculations? In other words other moving the graph to the point where the battery is being charged, is it best to strive for the lowest Hybrid Systems Indicator level to increase the calculated MPG, which must be greater than 100 MPG?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's best to strive for the lowest because you're either coasting or regenning, either way adding to your mpg's. the computer is just using an equation of gas used and miles driven.

3. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes, the further to the left you keep it the better. When the bar is all the way to the left you are getting infinite MPG and using no battery and if the charge light is on you are MAKING electricity.

4. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the responses.