1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MPG's not as good as mileage accumulates?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 72fordgts, Nov 18, 2014.

1. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Our car has about 85K miles on it now. I have kept track of the average MPG's since we owned the car. It seems over this last year our car has gotten on average between 5-8% lower than past years. Not that it's a massive amount when the car is getting the MPG's it does, but it was so consistent in years past. I know that obviously there are tons of variables, but even our highway trips seem to be a bit lower than before.

Has anyone else noticed this as well? Or perhaps I am expecting this car to be too consistent on MPGs.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd be wondering if your 12v was on it's way out? They generally last 5 years or 80k miles. One common sign they're failing is a steady reduction in fuel economy.

There are many threads and posts on how to check it, but if it reads below 12v after resting overnight, then it's time to replace. Use a multimeter and don't rely on the car or a Toyota dealer to check it for you.

I'm assuming you've not put some heavy winter tyres on or changed the type of oil you use.

3. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd wonder about tires.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd wonder about anything that might affect mpg's. our '04 was pretty consistent through 105,000 miles when we sold it.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many km's on it now?<sorry, see 85K

Just trying to think of factors that could deteriorate over time, and beside what's been already mentioned:

Mass Air Flow Sensor getting fouled?

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve clogging?

Engine Air Filter clogging? (though I don't think that's much of a factor, with computer control)

Brakes dragging? (feel wheels right after extended drive, see if any feel markedly hotter)

#5 Mendel Leisk, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    carbon on the cylinder heads?

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Old joke about electric cars: The farther away from home you go, the more efficient, because you are hauling less weight as extension cord.

Grren4ever likes this.
  8. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I replaced the 12 volt battery with an Exide AGM in the summer, but it seemed to have no real effect on the fuel economy. The tires haven't been changed in a while. I have Bridgestone Ecopia EP422's summer, and Michelin X Ice3's for the winter. It may be due for an air filter, I haven't checked it in a while. I did clean the MAF the last time I checked the air filter. I am pretty sure the brakes aren't dragging at all, didn't notice any issues when I switched over the winter tires.

How do you check the EGR system? Any other advice appreciated. I guess 5-8% isn't a massive variation, I am not sure what's normal for these cars.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've taken out and cleaned the pipe you see in the first pic in this link:

Prius III engine knocking at high torque low RPM (solved) | PriusChat

Also explored as far as I could reach with pipe cleaner type implements.

One end of the pipe has a plastic component that has to be removed first, to access the pipe flange bolts: an exercise in patience that'll have you cussing Toyo. I do have torque spec for the bolts, but found it possible to get a torque wrench on some of the bolts, just used reasonable force.

Really not sure if this would impact mpg, maybe depends on degree of clogging. Mine had a moderate amount, and it's pretty low mileage.

72fordgts likes this.
  10. budrow56

budrow56 Junior Member

I have found that in colder weather I get less mpg cause the engine is actually running more to keep itself warm. And in the summer is higher.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Age & mileage haven't affected my fuel economy. IMO, that kind of hit is significant. Changing to tires that aren't LRR or a botched ECU reflash have that impact.

Since the temps have dropped dramatically here, have you checked the tp?

12. 72fordgts

72fordgts Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My tires are still LRR, and they have been on for a while. Winter tires aren't LRR, but they are Green-X. Tire pressure was checked last week, and its set slightly above the factory settings (on purpose). I track both winter and summer mileage. I did have a recall this year where I think it involved the reflash of the ECM.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that the recall that cost many people 8 mpg's?

14. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did cleaning that pipe help your mileage?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not that I'd notice. It was very pre-emptive too, we're low km's, and accumulations weren't that bad.

16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If MPG suddenly drops, time to inspect and grease brake slide pins. Mine were stuck and lost about 10% MPG on hwy driving. MPG went back after they were unstuck and greased with official toyota rubber grease.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    AGS Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant is a readily available aftermarket caliper slide lubricant that'll also work.

18. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may work most of the time, but I did see some posts complaining of sticky pins with sil-glyde. This is why I invested my $10 to get the grease specified by toyota: http://rav4world.com/pdf/T-TT-0132-11.pdf

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So it's the lithium soap base glycol (rubber) grease (P/N 08887-01206)? Good to know the elusive stuff is available. And thanks for the link!

20. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took off all tires, took all brake calipers off and checked the caliper glide pins. All moved in and out with a little resistance, and the resistance was approximately the same at all wheels. So, I don't have a locked up caliper or unmoving glide pins.

I ran out of time before I could check the EGR tube.

Update: I took off the air cleaner and hose to the throttle body to take off the EGR pipe for inspection. I found it a little dirty inside but no appreciable accumulation of crud. I rinsed it out with alcohol and used rolled up paper towels soaked in alcohol to twist into the EGR valve body and the intake manifold. I got a bit more crud out reassembled the tube.

I looked thru the throttle body butterfly and found oil in the chamber below it. I took some out with paper towels thru the throttle body. What does that oil mean?

#20 Dark_matter_doesn't, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014