1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multifunction Display Suddenly Went Dark on '07 Prius! Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by litlred522, Apr 15, 2014.

1. litlred522

litlred522 Junior Member

My multifunction display (MFD) on my '07 Prius suddenly went dark yesterday. It was working perfectly fine before that....then suddenly it's completely functionless. The side buttons don't work, and there are no beeps on anything from the touchscreen or the side buttons (i'm referring to the audio, climate, eyc.).I know others users have had problems with the MFDs, but it seems most people's malfunction and don't just suddenly die. My clock and everything else on the dash are working fine. Speakers work when I put in a CD. Can anyone tell me if it could be anything than the MFD itself? The price tag on those things made my jaw drop! What about trading in the car without fixing it? Would they give me substantially less than they would otherwise? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

XT901 ?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could check the following fuses:
    10A GAUGE
    15A DOME
    15A ECU-B
    7.5A ECU-IG
    7.5A ACC

"Check" means that you remove the fuses, one at a time, and measure continuity using an ohmmeter. Do not rely upon visual inspection.

If you find that all fuses are good, then the MFD probably failed and you can try to buy a used one via eBay, for example. Certainly it makes no sense to buy a new MFD for a four-digit price. Remove the old MFD first, so that you can determine its part number.

You can try removing and replacing the wiring harness connectors on the old MFD since you need to remove it anyway to find the part number. Maybe that will encourage the MFD to resume operation.

Regarding trading the car without fixing the MFD, you'll have to imagine yourself on the buying end of the transaction, and decide how much you would discount the price because of that. I think you'll see that it makes sense to exercise a reasonable effort to replace the MFD with a used unit.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    This is a known failure mode for the MFDs, but is usually intermittent, not permanent. My 2004 MFD exhibits this behavior and when it gets me sufficiently aggravated, I'll call Steve at Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana to get a fully tested one salvaged from a wrecked Prius for about $400.

JeffD

4. litlred522

litlred522 Junior Member

Update: I took my car in to a mechanic that supposedly tested "all power and ground connection going to the display unit. Tested battery. Inspected all fuses." They charged me $40 for that, but seemed VERY unknowledgeable about how to take apart the dash/replace the unit. They couldn't even give me an estimate. Said the "Prius guy" was on vacation...um...why schedule my Prius for a day he isn't there? This is the business that advertised in our local paper that they work on Priuses, and I've totally lost confidence. Not going back there. Anyway, I'm frustrated, and considering trying to take the dash apart myself using the instructions from Auto Be Yours (I'd post the link, but apparently I don't meet the forum's criteria yet). Anyway, I have *zero* experience doing anything like this before. Is it doable for a total newbie? I'm very afraid I might break something...

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you might break something. If you do, then consider the cost of a replacement part to be charged to your "education" budget, and resolve to learn from your error so it doesn't happen again.

None of us were born, knowing how to work on Prius in specific, or vehicles in general. There is a learning curve that you have to work through.

Or, you can pay your Toyota dealer four-digits to install a new MFD...

My post here shows most of the steps required to access the MFD:
    How to Replace 2G Gearshift Lever | PriusChat

Beyond that, you'll need to pull out the vent on the right side of the MFD, then you can unbolt and remove it.

6. litlred522

litlred522 Junior Member

My biggest concern is in pulling out the MFD itself. It says to pull *Firmly* in bold, but then a couple of steps later, it tells you to use caution not to break a plug and a cable that appear to be directly attached to the MFD itself. While I realize I may break something, I would love to hear pointers from others that have replaced their own MFDs. Better to learn from someone else's mistakes, if possible :)

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't noticed anyone complain about having difficulty in removing the MFD wiring harness connector. If you exercise reasonable care and move slowly I think you'll be OK.

(I had the 2004's MFD replaced under warranty a few years ago, so I haven't needed to deal with that particular issue myself.)

8. fataugie

fataugie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same thing happen to me with my 07 MFD a few years a go. And I followed Pat's instructions, it's easy to do. I am more than a novice, but had never worked on a Toyota....much less a Prius and I figured it out. Ebay is your friend......use your friend. I scored mine for less than $300. As a matter of fact, I drove around for a month with the display out waiting on finding the right one and shipping, etc. No problem, except tuning the radio and heat/AC was a bitch...but it was do-able.

Have faith in your mechanical abilities...go slow and you'll be fine.

9. cthorsman

cthorsman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am another who followed Patrick's instructions with success. Autobeyours dot com also had instructions with pictures. Between the two it is very doable.

It is also a feel good thing to do it yourself and not pay an outrageous fee to Toyota!

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can do it! Worst case, you may break a plastic tab on one of the panels. As best stated by Patrick, "education cost." But substantial money saved.

Watch the youtube video of Carolyn (I believe its her in this video), from Lucious Garage in San Francisco, doing exactly what you want to do: Prius MFD replacement, front dash disassembly/reassembly

Look at the accompanying PDF (IP-Instrument Panel). It will help you visualize where all the tension tabs, screws, bolts, and wire connectors are located.

If memory serves me correctly these are helpful tools to have:
    • #2 Phillips (short and long length)
    • 10mm socket, socket extension
    • panel removing tools ideally (less marring of finish; $13 at harborfreight. 20% and 25% off coupons in your mail or car magazines (Motor Trend, Road and Track). If you ever want to upgrade your speakers, harborfreight sells doorpannel remover tools; not absolute necessary, but helpful to have.
    • flat blade screwdrier if you don't want to get the panel tools.

GOOD LUCK!

Attached Files:

11. litlred522

litlred522 Junior Member

Thank you everyone! I think I'm gonna have a go at it. I'll update with the results when I'm done. Before I get started though, does anyone know if it's possible to figure out which part number I need without taking the dash apart? I'd really like to do that just once, if possible. I'm very much appreciative of all the detailed and helpful responses here!

XT901 ?

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are going to buy the MFD for $325 from autobeyours.com, tell Steve the model year of your Prius and whether it has nav or not. He probably can determine the appropriate unit to ship to you.
    04 and newer Prius Parts Cars

13. litlred522

litlred522 Junior Member

Just so everyone knows, Steve at autobeyours told me he doesn't sell it used MFDs--apparently he only repairs them. I'm still planning on trying to replace it myself and finding a part on eBay

XT901 ?

14. redsidriver

redsidriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    anybody know of a write up on how to actually fix it ? just got 2007 prius with the screen completely black . took it apart to see if i could see any obvious signs of damage . no luck but now at least the toyota logo flashes for a quick second and then goes dark but thats its

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. redsidriver

redsidriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i saw that one however the boards on mine seem to be slightly different . where that one says 60 mine says 100 among other small differences

17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #17 vvillovv, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014